Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strawberries

Posted by svenska CA18/19 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 14:14

My strawberries seem determined to become perennial. I need advice and hints on how to let them and yet keep the strawberry production up to usage demands. So far I've only trimmed off the new plant shoots, and dead leaves. What else would encourage them to continue to be fruitful? All your experience greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strawberries

Strawberries are perennial. Their best year is usually their second. The third year is still OK but the fourth production is poor and many commercial growers pull them out after the third year. During winter last years foliage should be removed to help the new fresh growth. Be careful to not damage the crown while trimming the foliage back. Regular feeding is suggested with the new growth. Commercial growers remove the runners to get more fruit production. Al

o
RE: Strawberries

keep the roots cool but don't mulch around the crown. Pick off any fruit that is past its time to keep disease away. In a pot, shade the side of the pot to keep the roots from dying where the sun heats the pot and soil. Get them to grow as big a root system as you can. Strawberries love having sand mixed into the soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here