Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
piper101_gw

Pride of Madeira PRUNING and question

piper101
16 years ago

Hi, Hope you can help. The net and Sunset's Garden book didn't cover this.

A year ago I planted a 5 gal Pride of Madeira. Very nice looking, flowers just peaking out etc. Well, it TRIPLED quickly, flowered great. I knew I needed to move it since I had no idea it would grow so fast. I severly pruned it back so the roots wouldn't have as much to take care of when transplanted. It was transpl. in same bed, just in the corner near a wall. I don't think my husband made a big enuf root ball as it's leaved drooped severely and I thought "she's a gonner". I either pruned it again before or after it recoverd (can't remember the order now). Anyway, when I cut it, it was into what looked to me like dead wood. I stopped.

Now, it's about to bloom again but is very legg-ey looking and I'd like to know if after it's done blooming if I can prune it down to make it "start again" and get it's shape back. But I don't know if it will grow again if I do this. The trunk is about 4" in diameter I'd say. I'd like to make it full again. It appears to flower off the green, new parts but everything I've read never talks about any more pruning than just removing the spent flowers.

What say you all about this? I can provide a picture if that will help. Thanks very much!!!

Comments (16)

• dicot
    16 years ago

I've never had success with radical pruning of Echiums. I also think they grow too rapidly in good soil - the best specimens I've seen were the ones out on the coastal bluffs north of San Francisco were they were just ignored and recieved no summer water, but temps were cool enough that they didn't fry.

I also found the hard way that without good drainage, the roots can drown in heavy rainfall and they will quickly die.

• youreit
    16 years ago

I've noticed that about the different colored Echiums, too, mainly where I've seen the bulk of them, over in the Bodega Bay area. From what I remember, the blue-flowered ones were smaller, whereas the larger ones were more purple in color, which might explain the seedling theory.

Brenda

• bahia
    16 years ago

Color is variable from seed, but they can be propagated from cuttings if you want a known color. Echium will grow quite large under irrigated garden conditions, and wants to get to be a 6 to 8 foot tall woody shrub if left to its own devices. Light pruning done several times a year, more in the way of tip pinching of live growth, can be used to make it more compact, rather than one severe pruning after it has bloomed. It tends not to regrow well if cut into old woody trunks.

Best to give this the space it prefers, rather than try to hack it to fit a too small location. Give it a leaner soil mix and avoid regular irrigation if you want to restrain its rate of growth.

• cscudi
    16 years ago

My question is what to do with the flowers after they are done blooming. Do you trim them? Some of the branches seem to droop with the older blossoms. I have several huge plants that have loads of flowers and don't want them all to droop.

• youreit
    16 years ago

Yes, you can cut off the old flower spikes.

Brenda

• eloise_ca
    16 years ago

Unless you want tons of seedlings growing all over you yard, cut off the old flower spikes.

• slave2thefur
    16 years ago

Mine is a sport - a beautiful blue - in an unirrigated section of the garden, and is easily 10' wide. I found that if it was cut back hard, but not to the main stem, it would resprout and rebloom. One night dozens of hummingbird moths enveloped the flower spikes - special!

• ca_gardener
    16 years ago

I have several young Pride of Madeira that popped up as seedlings. Will these survive transplanting? Is there a recommended time of year to move them?

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

I have a LOT of these on my south facing, frying hot, cut slope, crummy clay soil hillside where the only things that survive are plants too mean and stupid to die. I started off with 4 1 gallon plants. One died. The others set seed. A lot. The seedlings are now covering most of a 1/4 acre hill. I do nothing other than deadhead the flower spikes. They seem to be relatively short lived (5-10 years), they sprawl, they occasionally lose a whole branch that never comes back, they are a local stop for migrating butterflies, they are gorgeous (I started with 3 blue plants and the seedlings are breeding true). In short, my experience is to neglect them!

• slogal
    15 years ago

Re: color variation --
    I saw one in a nearby town that had pink blooms. It was planted along a driveway in a light industrial area and whenever I would drive by I'd think that I should stop and ask to take some cuttings. Sadly I never did and I think the plant is gone now.

• youreit
    15 years ago

Slogal, I wonder if that pink one you saw was E. wildpretii, tower of jewels. They have pinkish blooms.

Brenda

• Mirjana Cvijanovic
    7 years ago

my "pride of madeira"

I sow it in August last year...i would like to know when i could expect blooming

• gyr_falcon
    7 years ago

It depends upon how well they establish in the garden, but usually the non-biennial types seem to hit their stride in year three. They like to get their root system in place to produce those flowers. That isn't to say that some don't send up a few spikes at two, or wait until four or five, but I think that plants with good root systems, in the ground, are frequently ready around age three to begin throwing up spikes.

• Lesley Kinney
    7 years ago

I planted an echium at least 5 years ago. It is enormous but it has never bloomed. It looks perfectly healthy and takes up most of the garden bed. What can I do to get it to bloom?