Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lilac in a container?

Posted by habitat_gardener z9 CA/Sunset15 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 28, 07 at 14:44

Will lilac bloom in a container? I got a 4-inch pot last year and put it in a 10-15 gallon pot. It's about a foot high and sending up new shoots, but no buds yet. Should I plan to give it away to someone who can plant it in the ground, or wait another year or two or ten?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lilac in a container?

I started lilacs from seed (I know; call me crazy!!!) and it took 8 years for me to get blooms. They have been blooming now for 20 years.

If you got one in a 4-inch pot, I would assume it was quite young and may take awhile longer to bloom for you and I don't think being "potted" should make a difference if taken care of. I am not an expert on lilacs at all, so maybe someone who is, can expound on this.

By the way, starting them from seed did generate some very interesting lilacs- the blooms are gorgeous every year as always!
Take care,
Christy

o

We wanted a lilac that's not common here; I think it was called Sweetheart. It's a pink Syringa vulgaris with a particularly lovely scent. We got it from a Canadian mail order nursery, and the only size they happened to have that year was very small, a 4" pot, I think. We kept it potted for several years, increasing the pot size as needed. As I recall, it did begin blooming while it was still potted. We eventually planted it in the ground, where it got bigger and better every year.

So I see no reason your lilac wouldn't bloom in its pot. You should expect it to take about 3 years, perhaps a year longer. This is because a lilac that size is still very young. Hang in there; it's worth the wait! In the meantime, maybe you could plant low-growing annuals around the edges of the pot.

Best of luck with it,
Jennifer

o

I started hungarian lilac from seed about 7 years ago. The reason for doing so eludes me now. Nevertheless, I now have 3 shrubs in 2 gallon pots. They're shaped pretty nice and full but have not bloomed yet. I think I will scout out a location for them to be planted out this Fall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here