Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

'Julia Child' Rose Paired with Dk. Purple Salvia

I'm hoping someone on our Calif. Gardening Forum saw the same photos I saw a while back. It was a planting showing 'Julia Child' roses with a dark purple salvia. Can't remember if I saw the photos on the Gardening Web, or just doing a web search. It was so striking, and like a dummy I didn't write down the name of the salvia. I want to duplicate this in a planter that wraps around the new patio we've got down in our lower garden. I know salvias and roses usually have pretty opposite watering requirements, but once 'Julia Child' is established, I can cut back on the water. And, I'm going to run them on drips in front of the roses, and plant the salvia behind, so they will be a bit further away from the water source. Does this strike a bell with someone? I just remember the photo showing both of these in a bed together, and the color combination was gorgeous. Looking for a more compact, maybe upright salvia that is very dark purple and can take maybe a wee bit more water than the species typically prefers.

Patty S.

Comments (19)

• wcgypsy
    12 years ago

I didn't see the pic you've mentioned, but s. 'May Night' has been so popular lately, that it may be the one...'May Night' or 'Caradonna'

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks gypsy, I did kind of scout out May Night, so that's on the list. I'll definitely check out Caradonna. I'm so mad at myself, just like me to NOT write the name of the Salvia down, and I'm nearly 100% sure it was listed on the photo, aak!!

Patty S.

• jenn
    12 years ago

Patty, you might check the Roses forum for that photo.

In any case, you might consider Salvia 'Mystic Spires Blue' (sometimes referred to as 'Mystic Spires'), a dwarf form of S. 'Indigo Spires'. I shared a link below, but there are other links in the Salvia forum.

I grow it in our rich clay soil near a citrus tree and other perennials.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia 'Mystic Spires Blue'

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Jenn. Another excellent suggestion. I did post over on the Rose Forum as well as the Salvia Forum (who knew there was a Salvia Forum!!) Good to know it will grow in clay. The area I'm putting this bed in, is in DG, but gets a fair amount of moisture due to it being the lowest part of our yard. 3 good suggestions to check out!

Patty S.

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    12 years ago

There was a thread on this forum in the past year or so on purple salvias...I assume you tried searching?
    There is a purple Greggii as I have one.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Yup, checked that out. Salvia greggii is pretty big and fat. I need something more compact & upright. I have greggii up on my front hillside, and it is lovely there, and quite the specimen. This planter is rather narrow - about 2' - and long. So I'll be planting the salvia between the roses, and towards the back a bit.

Patty S.

• jenn
    12 years ago

Patty - I'll take a picture of ours and post it a bit later. It is in amended clay and nestled in amongst other plants with a light layer of mulch, and this spot doesn't get "regular" water in terms of weekly or any particular schedule. It gets direct sun starting around mid-morning until early afternoon. I plan to try it with roses in another bed that gets hot all-day sun in front of a short retaining wall.

• jenn
    12 years ago

Patty, here are 2 pics I took this afternoon. The first one is for perspective to show its current size, between pots of Blueberry 'Bountiful Blue'; it will get a little larger and some of the foliage on the sides is blocked by the pots. The second pic is a close-up to show how similar the leaves are to 'Indigo Spires'. I may need to move the pot on the right if it blocks too much sun from the Salvia.

{{gwi:527631}}

{{gwi:527632}}

Original Author
    12 years ago

Great, thanks Jenn. I'm going to call around my favorite nurseries next week, and see if anyone has all 3 varieties so I can do a visual and make a decision. Sounds like any one of the 3 varieties will work well in this planter with my 'Julia Child' roses. I may drop some Bacopa below, under everything to peek out and over the edges.

Patty S.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Do you mean Hoovb's Julia and limonium? Spectacular.
    Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoovb's Julia

Original Author
    12 years ago

No, but oh my GOSH! Wowie zowie. That's one NICE Julia Child rose! I'm planting 9 of them around 2 side of my new patio. Looks like I made a very good choice, lol!!

Patty S.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Indeed. You made a great choice. I love it so much I bought two. The limonium is a great companion plant because it blooms all year and does not require much water. They don't need to be sheared like some salvias.

I have mine planted with lamb's ear:

{{gwi:527633}}

They are four years old now. The shape is so nice you don't really even have to prune them if you don't want to.
    Renee

• jenn
    12 years ago

Renee --- BEAUTIFUL!!!

Hoov -- Your JC is indeed a beautiful rose, and I am really enjoying reading your blog.

• trick187
    12 years ago

My Salvia self seed right on top of my Julia Child. I'm going to leave them alone. I'm probably about 3 weeks away from the Salvia flowering. I'll be sure to take some pictures.

I didn't know the two plants had different watering conditions? I water my Julia Child twice a week at least. I'm very near the coast. The rose looks healthy.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Salvia tend to like it drier than water-thirsty roses. Watering 2 days a week (depends how long you're watering and how much volume if you're on a drip) sounds fine for the roses, as you're near the coast. Plenty of water especially for now. But, that being said, with certain established roses, like Julia Child, they can get by nicely will less water than other roses. And some salvia can stand more water than other varieties. So, I was trying to find a salvia that didn't mind being wee bit wetter than they probably naturally like that was that deep bluish purple. It's the salvia I was more worried about, as I was going to have to water for the roses. I ended up ordering 4 different varieties and will simply make the decision when they arrive, and plant the rest in my yard in other places, since I (and the hummers) love salvia :-)

Patty S.

• CA Kate z9
    12 years ago

How about the shorter S. leucantha, it will bloom almost continually along with the rose?

Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, Mexican Sage, or even some of the more compact varieties (like 'Santa Barbara') still will get to be up to 3' tall, and about 4' wide. I have quite a bit of Mexican Sage on my front hillside, and it is really better suited to allowing it to grow in its natural habit, which is a big round mound. I think I'm probably better off with the Salvia nemorosas, which have a more columnar growth habit, and I can get those really dark purple/indigo colors.

Patty S.

• sheila65
    12 years ago

How about Salvia Black and Blue? Spectacular flowers that the hummingbirds love, too. Mine seems to do fine in clay soil. There are some good photos on the Dave's Garden website.

And Renee! WOW! I only wish my flower garden looked like that!

Original Author
    12 years ago

I thought about 'Black and Blue', Sheila, color is right plus you get a neat foliage color, too. It's a possible contender. The bed should be ready to go this weekend, I hope, so I can get everything in. I have to make sure the drips are all in first. And will be picking up some screening plants for the very back of the bed - going with 'Green Tower' boxwood for that, and will just keep it pruned very thin, and not over 4' tall. I'm hoping it will create sort of a fence around the corner of the patio. Then, the roses and salvia in front of it, and if I have room, I might tuck in some white Bacopa in the very front. That's a lot of plant material it a pretty narrow bed, so not sure I can cram all that in. Will have to see!

Patty S.