Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Landscaping Tree

Posted by runaround 10 - Northridge, CA (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 7, 10 at 14:57

I have lost several large trees in recent years because they were either trees that were not suitable as landscaping trees or trees that were planted too close to the yard walls or house and they were causing damage.
I'm now in the process of researching trees to replace the lost trees. I wish to place 2 new trees - 1 in a large area (approx 234 sq.ft.) on the west side of my yard near the pool. It would be a focal point of the yard. And the other in a smaller area (approx 120 sq.ft.)on the east side of my yard nearer the house and yard wall. The yard is south facing and receives sun all day long - and is especially hot & dry in the summer months.
I would like the trees to mirror each other - to tie the yard together much as one would in decorating the interior of a home. Ideally, they would be the same tree (species) only 1 would mature into a large tree and the other at maturity would be only half the size of the larger tree due to the size difference in the areas they will be planted. I'm not especially concerned about debris in and around the pool there was a deciduous Coral tree in that area previously. I would be concerned about the root system compromising the pool shell.
Is there such a tree that comes in two different sizes?
I would like to steer clear on the most common trees - Crape Myrtle, Bottle Brush, etc.
I will appreciate any suggestions.
Are my expectations too high?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Landscaping Tree

I have been thinking about this all day, and I came up with one idea for you to consider. Since I can't think of many trees of the same species to fit your ideal (citrus and dwarf citrus were all I could imagine) I tried to think of trees that look similar but grow to different sizes. You don't say what kinds of trees you like, so I suggest you use the kinds I like :).

Bright green weeping trees.

I think you should plant a Male California Pepper in the big space and a Mayten tree in the small space.

Or a Weeping Willow in the big space with the Mayten in the small one.

I know nothing about roots, so can't address how the pool would be impacted. It's also tough to give suggestions when we don't know the dimensions of the "large" space. It sounds kind of small to me- how big is it? How much pruning would you be willing to do to maintain a tree?

My California Pepper is fifty feet across, so perhaps a fifteen gallon Mayten tree in your small spot and a big boxed one in your large spot would work better. They grow slowly, so the little one should take a while to catch the big one.

Good luck.

Renee

o
RE: Landscaping Tree

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 10, 10 at 19:46

Blue Atlas Cedar for the large tree and perhaps the weeping version as the smaller? There are two mature trees in my neighborhood and they are stunning!

Two Olive trees (fruitless for cleanliness) they can be pruned to any size, one, let it get large, the other, cut it back. You can prune the heck out of them, or not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here