Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashleysf_gw

Anyone growing Mango tree in the bay area?

ashleysf
14 years ago

I am seeing more and more mango trees in the local nurseries these days. I am interested in the Manila mango trees. Wondering if anyone is growing any kind of mango tree successfully in the bay area? Mangoes are my all time favorite fruit and I would dearly love to plant one in my yard. But considering how my Lychee tree died in the frost a few years ago, I want some encouragement before I buy a mango tree. BTW/ I grow a few seedling mango trees (Keitt and Kent) and bring them in for the winter. Would love to hear that someone around here has succeeded!!!

Comments (23)

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    14 years ago

I had a 5 year old Manila fruit in 2006. About a couple dozen fruits that were very sweet in August(when first ripe) to sour in December-last green one picked. But the wife likes Asian style sour Mangos so no waste. A potted 9' tree then. 2007's big freeze took it down to the roots. it regrew,was frosted again, regrew again last year(now in ground by then) to 2 1/2 foot. This year, December halved it again. All My fault-I know I should have covered it..but didnt. In between another Manila Mango did great,flowered..then died after I planted in ground from who knows what.
    I think,since Manila is a dwarf,potted growing in a large container is worthwhile-I saw a post of a fellow bay arean with a 12-15' potted Manila he protects in winter that has great summer fruit.
    My advice after all this-go potted, cover whenever they say arctic intrusion, or simply put in the garage a few nights...then its good for the year outdoors. And Manila is your best bet to be reliable fruit.

• ashleysf
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks a lot for the encouragement. I will get a Manila mango from my nursery this spring. i am so amazed that it regrew so many times and is so hardy. Definitely seems to be the right one for my area. I am lax about frost protection for my trees too.
    I just noticed your post on the tropical fruit forum about Bailey's Marvel mango. I was under the impression that Keitt was the most frost tolerant until I read about Bailey's Marvel.

14 years ago

Also Ashley-the Mangos sold locally are always in pots much larger than they need..do NOT transplant!..if you hate the look of nursery pots,place it in something nice,because I promise you if you tap it out of the nursery pot,the root ball will fall apart. By next summer it will be safe to repot IF needed.
    Also 2: I like to put saucers under my potted plants-even cacti and succulents- Mangos HATE saucers! I did that a couple of years ago and the trees leaves in just a few days got that burned edged look,very distressed look..removed the saucer and like magic within days..it looked good again. The root tips wont take sitting in even the shallowest bit of saucer water.
    Finally-they love heat. It can NEVER be too hot here or a spot too hot. That wall or fence that gets blazing hot sun all day long?-great Mango spot.

14 years ago

So far Ashley-its lived up to the cold part-mine is flushing new leaves despite the chill. But,some say they never fruit in California. If you ever see a Tammy post-contact her, because she's got some varietys that are doing well you might be interested in....but I have heard of too many Manila's, plus my personal experience to not put them at the top of the class. I had somebody tell me they saw one in ground like a small tree in Santa Cruz-wow.

• tammysf
    13 years ago

Hi Ashley,

I just wanted to update that I did get a ripe mango off of my glenn mango tree here in Marin.

{{gwi:527916}}

{{gwi:527917}}

I also have an alphonso mango tree with about 8 small fruit on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mango Tree in Northern California

• Shelby Clark
    7 years ago

Amazing to hear! Where in Marin are you, Ashley? I'm in Bolinas. Frost is not an issue where I live, but we don't get the heat either. Think it would work out here?

7 years ago

What you must do Shelby in that very cool foggy climate is build a lightweight greenhouse around it. You can buy those at hardwarestores/HD. It will get you fast growth and sweet larger fruit. Its been done.

Growing a compact Mango like Carrie or just heavy pruning of what you can find- like Manila- is best. You are right..in winter you have no frost worries so no need to heat it.

7 years ago

Why pass up a chance to show off a 7' 4 years from a 2' stick in ground mango to the unbelievers? This was in July. I'm hoping for another foot by November..maybe. Last year and the year before it fruited..took a break this year and has done plenty of growing.

• aus_10en
    7 years ago

I have three Manila mango tress in Milpitas . They are doing very well in wine barrels. Mine aren't up against the house facing southeast .

• aus_10en
    7 years ago

7 years ago

They look great. Since Ashley started this..a lot of people are getting tree's going. I see them at HD in Hayward every mid summer for sale. Its adding up.

And why not? They taste great.

6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Why not with The Fremont M-tree? Inspiration. BTW- This has yellow Ataulfo like (and Manila sized) fruit.

• Sirisha Aditham
    3 years ago

I am planning to transfer a 7ft long mango tree from a pot to the ground in San Jose. My parents planted the seed almost 7 years ago. It started flowering last year but did not yield fruits yet. I understand it needs min 10 ft space and full sun. Any recommendations for care before and after moving it to the ground? Thanks in advance!

3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

FULL HOT SUN is the way to go. Avoid any shade if possible. NEVER plant where water will stand in winter. In Summer..like now,water,let dry,water. Not too dry. An organic fertilizer with some iron will green them up.

San Jose is the next hot bay area spot to grow Mangoes. Summer temps are about perfect.

I have a 12-14' Manila with fruit right now and a 5' Ataulfo ( from seed) also with some fruit. In Hayward where an 80f or more this summer has been rare. If only warmer...

One last..Flys are the best pollinators of Mango trees in the city. A hint. How you get them is up to you..

• HU-113792988
    3 years ago

Can a Mango tree can be grown in Fremont. What it will be in the winter to protect

3 years ago

Sure they can. Usually no protection in winter. The last winter that was frosty was in 2007. We hit 30f or so. But the house in the photo is on a hilltop and probably didn't even have a frost that year.

Now..Fremont has areas that warm up much more than the Fremont close to the bay. 10f difference all summer between the extremes just about. I've been there where it was a cool breeze in summer by the bay...drove inland into the low hills...no breeze,much warmer and it felt like socal.

• PRO
    Mango Club 2020
    3 years ago

I have 5 year old mango tree. Bear fruit at 3 years old. I always cover during winter when it was younger. I grew from seed to tree.

3 years ago

I'm waiting to hear if any bay areans have grown large fruit sized Mangoes like Keitt...but any other cultivars would be great. I'm glad my Manila had full sized fruit..but they still are smaller than the 1 pound Mangoes.!

• johnnyk08
    3 years ago

I have had a seed grown mango in a large pot outside for 5 or so years here in Antioch, ca. last year gave me a few fruit, pretty large and redish like Tommy or Keitt.

3 years ago

Time to plant it! Antioch gets pretty hot in summer.

• johnnyk08
    3 years ago

It sure does. I would put in the ground but I don’t own where I live. no plans on moving but with my luck....
    she seems to be okay in a large pot, repotted last year, I’ll do it again next year.

3 years ago

Post any photos you have of it. Any with fruit hanging on it?