Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any lilac expert around?

Posted by bob_b Sunset 14 Ca. (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 4, 11 at 15:46

I planted a one gal lilac last year (Lavender lady). It has bloomed this year. This year I put in a 'Ludwig Spaeth', a bigger and more robust plant and a late bloomer. It has leafed out nicely, but has no bloom buds. The nursry person said it could still bloom this year. I doubt this because it is my understanding that lilacs bloom only on year-old wood. True?

Also, all the Ludwig Spaeths at the nursery (this morning) were bloomless and budless, and all the other varieties had blooms and/or flower buds. What's the deal with Ludwig?

RB

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any lilac expert around?

Newly-planted lilacs take several years to settle down such that they bloom reliably and normally. Your nursery should have told you that. Some vars bloom later than others. IIRC the Descanso hybrids are late-ish compared to the French but are more reliable in CA.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here