Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
reviving sago palms...

Posted by cyumickey 9? CA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 18, 06 at 16:15

Hi all,

I have 2 (well 3) baby sago palms in pots. They are just sitting in the backyard waiting to be planted. My MIL got them for us, and brought them over before I was really ready for them. Anyway, I have not been able to water them daily (as instructed), and some fronds are dead and/or dying. Is there anyway to revive them? They won't be able to be planted for at least another few weeks. Please help! They are too expensive to go the way of all my other potted plants...dead.

I also have 1 tiny sago as a houseplant that did pretty well indoors for about a year with minimal watering. Now half of the fronds are yellow (but kind of soft still). I suppose that should go outside too...don't palms like sunlight?

Thanks! Oh, and I live in the Inland Empire...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: reviving sago palms...

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 19, 06 at 11:49

Baby cycads need regular water, sunlight (but not too much direct, burning sun), and above all, good drainage. The link below will give you expert advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cycad help & advice

o

thanks, that was really helpful! I am curious, though about these long, skinny, tentacle-like things that grew out of my indoor sago...they grew really long then dried up, but I can't pull them off of the plant...

o

Here is another link that may help you. The daily watering doesn't sound right, mine in a 10 pot gets it about every 10 days.

Here is a link that might be useful: another Cycad link

o

well it looks like they may be coming back! the pots have been moved for better drainage, and the color is coming back. My indoor plant has thrown up another long skinny shoot with little balls/dots...can someone please tell me what it is? It stands up straight in the air and is now almost twice the height of the plant. I'll try to get a pic of it. thanks!

o

• Posted by sootie USDA 10/Sunset 24 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 17, 06 at 18:45

I recently came across a photo of a sego with a few very tall, skinny, upright tendral-looking strands--among healthy 'fronds'. They said it was an example of not enough light. Because yours is indoors, that's probably the reason.

I suggest carefully cutting them off at base & giving plant more sun.
~sootie

o

• Posted by sootie USDA 10/sunset 24 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 17, 06 at 21:05

I just located the picture of sego above mentioned!
It's at: http://www.rhapisgardens.com/sagos/
It's about the 8th photo down the page.

Let me know if that looks like *Yours*
~sootie

o

yup! thanks for finding that! It definitely doesn't get enough sun. The tendril is REALLY long now, so I guess I'll just cut it off. Next time something like that starts to shoot up, I'll be sure to put it in direct sunlight!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here