Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tall, flowery, heat tolerant annual for large pot.

Posted by bob_b Sunset 14 Ca. (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 4, 11 at 16:31

I've got a large terra cotta pot, about 4-5 gal. I need a showy annual to place in full, very hot sun. Must be fairly tall. Can be watered frequently. Any ideas?
RB

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tall, flowery, heat tolerant annual for large pot.

Not a very large pot and possibly not big enough for this plant, but several Cleome work well in our yard in fired pots about 30" high and 24" across at top. Let it go to seed and the birds will ensure you have more in your garden next year - the migratory passerines always make a stop.

Dan

o

• Posted by bob_b Sunset 14 Ca. (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 4, 11 at 18:21

The Cleome idea sounds good if it would work in my pot -- 15" tall and 16" wide (id). Anybody had success? Also the pot would be located on a gravel-covered part of the yard. Would this become a reseeding nightmare, or just a few volunteers here and there?

RB

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 4, 11 at 21:35

I'd suggest something like Verbena bonariensis or Calandrinia spectabilis, especially if they can root through the bottom of the pot into the ground, they won't need to be watered quite so frequently. Cleome looks great in bloom when you keep it dead headed, but is kind of messy looking if you don't. The ones I've listed don't need deadheading, and are also very long blooming perennials. You could always consider old standbys such as Zinnias, African Marigolds, Cosmos or Amaranthus caudatus, all of which get tall and thrive in heat and sun. Of all of these, Verbena bonariensis will grow the tallest, and gives a great lacey appearance.

o

We don't deadhead our cleome, it just keeps going and going. Then the little migratory songbirds come through and appreciate the banquet; we let two each year reseed in the yard for the little guys coming through.

Nonetheless, that pot's too small. I like the verbena idea instead, I think you will too.

Dan

o

Hollyhocks and Sunflowers are both tall and showy, but I like the idea of Verbena bonariensis too. It really puts on a show.

o

My nicotana is about 3 feet tall right now, and growing. It smells heavenly at night, it's a fabulous plant.

Here is a previous discussion about one varity of nicotana, with photos so you can check it out.

Carla in Sac

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/annuals/msg0517111330976.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here