Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elliottbay_gw

Want to discourage lizards

elliottbay
12 years ago

I'm in the Coachella Valley and I have a problem with lizards, or rather my dog does. Me, I don't go ballistic every time I spot one, but my terrier does. I have an enclosed patio area with some shrubs and desert landscaping. Lizards usually pass through on a daily basis and some small ones like to make a home under an agave. This is unacceptable to my dog and just for my own nerves sake I'd like to find a way to discourage lizards from taking up residence.

Ideas anyone?

Comments (8)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Consult a dog trainer. It sounds like your dog needs a job, and has decided on lizard supervision as his career. Find him a new line of work. He'll be happier. You'll be happier. The lizards will be happier.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Elliott, you WANT those lizards! They eat some of the bad bugs in your garden (wish I could train them to eat snails!) Seriously, I agree with hoovb on this. I trained my Aussies to ignore them. I have zillions of them, I love them. They entertain my cat when they crawl across the window screens. They a great garden helpers. Your terrier just needs a little training to learn to ignore them :-)

Patty S.

• Min3 South S.F. Bay CA
    12 years ago

i can't think of a way to discourage lizards besides a moat around your property.
    catch all of them and send them to me- i need their help!
    min

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I beg to differ with Patty- it might take A LOT of training to get a terrier to stop hunting lizards, since they are so very good at it. Nevertheless, it would be worthwhile, since there is really no way to discourage lizards. If your terrier catches and eats them all, you may be able to reduce the population temporarily, but your sanity might suffer while the hunt is on. I'd start watching episodes of the Dog Whisperer.
    Renee

• home_grower
    12 years ago

Both my Cocker Spaniel and German Sheppard mix think of lizards as must have prize to win. There is no stopping them. While I do enjoy the blue bellies and occasional skink or alligator lizard and know they are good to have you just can't stop the dogs built in need to capture them.
    Luckily most of the time the dogs have their nose in a bush sniffing them out while the tiny dinosaur is long gone. Once in a while they do catch one and kill it. I guess it�s just part of the circle of life. They have both got field rats and gophers so it all evens out.
    I was more surprised a couple weeks ago when my larger dog jumped my garden picket fence and pulled an opossum off the wall in the corner of the yard. He did drop it on command and it disappeared a while later.
    Almost all lizards are good for your garden but don�t expect your dog to view them in the same way.

• napapen
    12 years ago

I have one lizard who has come out for the spring who lives in a specific area of my yard. He has been there for about 3 years now. I talk to him but I don't get any answers.

• nico_girl3
    12 years ago

I would try giving them other places to hide in your yard. I would start with laying some wood out that they can hide under and sun bathe on, terra cotta pots cut in half and on the ground may work also. I'm hoping some blue bellies that live around my property take up residence in my garden to help keep the pest population down.

• caflowerluver
    12 years ago

My mini Dachshund loves to chase and occasionally catch lizards. (But doesn't know what to do with it when she does. At least she doesn't eat them.) I just have to say the word and she is on the hunt! There is no training her to stop so I just ignore her and let her run back and forth on the deck. I figure she is getting lots of exercise that way which she needs since she is quite a chowhound. LOL
    Clare