Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Bamboo for 9B SoCal

Posted by mbergeson none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 17:13

I live in Huntington Beach and am looking for tight clumping and decritive bamboo for a privacy screen. I want it to be eye catching and functional. Oh and I must mention I also have three dogs (Great Dane, American Bulldag, and French Bulldog.) They are not diggers but my Great Dane will "investigate" the clums often and he is not known for his delicate side, forget the Bull, can you say Great Dane in china shop.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Bamboo for 9B SoCal

I am in your zone ans I planted Bambusa multiplex 'Alphonse Karr' as I wanted a tight clumper for some areas I wanted some privacy. It is very beautiful...the canes are striped yellow and green, and at times have a pinkish cast to them.

o

Mia1974- thank you for your very speedy reply. Sorry mine was delayed but my name is Mia also and at a quick glance I just saw my name and thought the post had just duplicated. Too funny!

Anyway, Bambusa multiplex sounds beautiful. How tall does it get and are the clums large and sturdy enough to tolerate a Great Dane investigator. do you know were the best place is to buy bambo? Also do you know of any black or a deep emerald green bamboo that grows well in this zone? Have. Great day mia from mia. :) sorry for all of the questions.

o

I like this thread as I'm in the San Diego area and looking to get into Bamboo. I'll have to look at Bambusa Multiplex.

Z

o

I love my blue bamboo (Himalayacalamus hookerianus). It's a tight clumper and the culms have a powdery blue hue that turn bright green as they mature. It's also sold as Drepanostachyum falcatum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Bamboo

o

Bamboo is a tough plant, probably good to protect it for the first month til it gets established, but otherwise I would not be concerned about dogs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here