Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are these wild onions?

Posted by peachymomo Ca 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 17:28

I saw these flowers in my backyard for the first time this spring, when the foliage is bruised it smells oniony, does that mean they are wild onions? If so, will they be a good addition to my 'woodland meadow' or should I be worried? I think they are very pretty, but I have heard that wild onions and garlic can be quite aggressive. I would like to let them stay and proliferate if that's not a terrible idea.

photo flowers.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are these wild onions?

Looks like Allium triquetrum.

o

Yes, it is, and they can be aggressive growers. The other side of the coin is that they die off early and you can plant something else in the spot, the same way you do with spring bulbs or oxalis.

o

I wanted to plant some naturalizing bulbs in the meadow area of my yard anyway, and these have appeared in the corner farthest from my garden so I think I'll let them stay.

Thanks for the quick answers!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here