Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Longest Blooming Ceanothus

Posted by fallfograin Sunset 17 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 17:40

I want to plant a ceanothus that I can train into a tree. As much as I love ceanothus, I don't love their short blooming time! I know there are a lot of different varieties out there. I added Dark Star and Ray Hartman to my garden last year and they are looking so good I want more. Does anyone have experience with different varieties who could tell me which ones bloom the longest and the latest?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Longest Blooming Ceanothus

Ray Hartman is the longest blooming for me, blooming longer left than Julia Phelps and Dark Star. And ofcourse, the most tree-like.
Mine only blooms a tiny bit in fall, but I have seen some around town that bloom sporadically in fall, maybe they get a lot of water?

I too love ceanthus and got a little over eager and put in way too many of them. I ended up removing Tuxedo and Frosty Blue, only to make room for other plants. Frosty Blue got tree like very fast, and bloomed heavily, but I don't remember if it was noticeably longer blooming than the others.I also grew it at my previous house and was very pleased with it.

I would recommend a variety of other plants, maybe some toyon and manzanitas which could complement the ceanothus so it isn't too monocromatic. And ceanothus do seem so boring at the end of summer and in fall, that is when I succumbed and pulled some out.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Mon, May 20, 13 at 0:51

There are a couple of Ceanothus species and hybrids that are deciduous and summer blooming, but all the west coast evergreen species are relatively short bloom periods. Ray Hartman is probably the best for a tree sized specimen. Joyce Coulter and Julia Phelps are two of my personal favorites. Best species or cultivars for your specific area will depend on how hot you get in summer. If you have the room, Fremontodendron 'California Glory' is a fantastic complement to any Ceanothus, along with Mimulus aurantiacus and Salvia clevelandii and Salvia leucophylla or Artemesia californica.

o

I second Ray Hartman. My oldest one starts budding out in December - no joke - and it still has some flowers. Whereas my San Diego native ceanothus - Oliganthus - was done in three weeks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here