Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it time to pull broccoli plants out?

Posted by guavalane Los Angeles 9a (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 1, 10 at 17:50

Someone in the garden center told me that broccoli plants will survive the summer heat in our area (Pasadena). My plants did fine in winter but don't seem to produce much anymore. I only have a smallish backyard garden, so is it really worth saving it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it time to pull broccoli plants out?

They may or may not survive but I suspect they won't do very well in your summer heat. (Get the name of that person at the garden center.) Broccoli often does produce more smaller shoots from a basal clump where a main crown has already been removed but usually during cooler weather.

Regardless, it's time to use that space for more appropriate plants -- the warm-weather lovers. Time to sow your corn, put in a row of beans or -- something we can't quite do yet up here -- put out your tomatoes.

Joe

o

My experience is that broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, etc. may look OK but start getting a nasty bitter taste once they have been in too long and the heat hits. Take a nibble and see if they still taste good.

Carla in Sac

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 2, 10 at 5:05

General recommendation is April 15th for So Cal, a little later at the coast.

I'm just about to pull mine and put in the tomatoes. Homegrown broccoli is so delicious.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here