Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you think my maple is dead?

Posted by loribee2 CA 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 6, 11 at 18:05

I bought an Amur Maple last fall, along with a plum and pear. All three did well through the winter and started budding and/or flowering when the weather warmed up last month.

Then it got cold again.

My plum and pear are fine, leafing out now that the flowering stage has passed. But the tiny leaves that were on my maple had frozen and fallen off (I guess) and have yet to come back. I've yet to cut a branch and see if it's green on the inside--I suppose I should do that. But do you think it's just gone back into remission? Or do you think the cold/heat/cold spell did it in for good?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you think my maple is dead?

Impossible to tell with info provided. Scratch twig bark, look for green.

Dan

o

My guess is it will leaf out and be fine(no guarantee)if you just wait a couple more weeks. Al

o

Al, I so hope you're right. I did what you suggested, Dan, and the color under the surface is yellow. Not sure if that's good or bad. It was a nice looking yellow (not dead looking), but definitely not green. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here