Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cut worms...ugh.

Posted by patmonk 10a%3A Sunset17 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 18:09

Somehow got infested. Waiting to see if beneficial nematodes will be effective. Early plantings grew to about 1" and then disappeared over night. Possibly cant direct seed this year, just plant healthy starts with a collar, bummer.
Any other suggestions/solutions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cut worms...ugh.

Daily search-and-destroy missions. Even at night, say about 10 PM, because some are night-workers.

Much more satisfying that spraying, and safer, too, are these techniques: Drop into soapy water; cut in half; drop into spider web; stomp.

If they truly disappeared, suspect larger critters.

o

I like to feed them to the scrub jays. Nasty buggers.

o

I got them last summer and I am in your area of San Francisco, they come from butterflies laying eggs on your plants. When people talk about the joy of butterflies in the garden I think OMG no. Once the eggs hatch they can eat a lot in just one night. You will be shocked the next morning.

o

The adult is a rather ugly night moth.

o

Are cutworms the ones who just mow down new seedlings? I just lost my only zucchini plant and some greens. Time to resow. Maybe I'll try collars.

o

Yes- they go after the seedlings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here