Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loribee2

Converting weedy lawn to shrubs

loribee2
12 years ago

I've been reading a lot of threads on this subject and am wondering how the fine folks here would go about this.

I'm trying to get rid of the lawn in my back yard. It will end up all shrubs and trees. However, I'm not ready to plant all the shrubs. In some cases, I need to give a couple trees some time to grow before I plant the shade-loving shrubs around them (right now it's in full sun). In other cases, I simply can't decide what I want to plant and would like to take my time.

What I AM sure of is the outline of the beds, and that I'd like to get them covered with something so that I can stop mowing.

I've been reading about lasagna gardening as an easy way to cover the area and prevent new weed growth, but I think I'm running into a snag. It seems to kill the underlying weeds/grass I need to lay down a solid foot or so of cardboard/mulch, etc. Problem with that is I've got trees already planted at grass level in areas I want to convert to shrubs. Thus, I can't build up the soil that high around them.

I'm curious to know how any of you tackle this situation. Do you think I'd have a fair amount of success if I weed whacked the area down to the soil, laid down cardboard/newspaper then covered with 2-3" of compost? Any alternatives?

Comments (3)