Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sonaliagrawal_gw

What kind of mandarin tree will do well in container in sf bayar?

sonaliagrawal
13 years ago

I am in the sf bayarea, San Carlos - not as hot as San Jose and not as cool as San Francisco. I like seedless mandarins, the best to describe it is the mandarins like "Cuties" that you buy in the store.

I am wondering if mandarins do well in containers, and what kind are suitable for containers.

Thank you for your help!

(sorry, I also cross-posted on the Citrus forum)

Comments (8)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

The Owari Satsuma Mandarin you could grow in a half barrel. It is not near as tender as most citrus, survived 14 degree temps here with no damage to the tree. Only gets about 5 feet tall here and is heavy with fruit every year. Al

• sonaliagrawal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for your response. How tall would the satsuma get in a wine barrel planter? Also, would it still produce decent amount of fruit (of course not as much as when planted in ground) ?

• bahia
    13 years ago

I'd suggest two that I have used in large pots, (larger than 1/2 oak wine barrels), and are doing really well and sweet, bountiful fruit here in the East Bay would include Mandarin 'Gold Nugget' and 'California Honey', both from Monterey Bay Nursery in Watsonville. The Dancy tangerine is another good one for containers. Given that they will have more fruit in a larger sized pot, don't go cheap and too small. Check out their web site for lots of great info at: www.monterybaynsy.com

13 years ago

You will get plenty of fruit, we never use all of ours. You can leave it on the tree for at least 2 to 3 months using it as needed. Size and shape are easily maintained by pruning. In a container regular feeding will be required and your mix used will need to hold up for at least 5 years without a drainage problem. Al

• sonaliagrawal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Al - do you suggest using a 5-1-1 or gritty mix or something different?

13 years ago

sonaliagrawal, either will work that long, it is the bark that will break down over time. I would be sure the bark is not too small to start. Al

• homey_bird
    13 years ago

Thanks for starting this thread. I too had wondered about this. I already have a Valencia Dwarf orange tree in a pot and I'm looking for a mandarin to be started in another, and just like you I'm a Cuties fan!

Checking out Monterey Bay Nursery, it seems like those guys only deal in wholesale and perhaps with professionals. (not sure if I misinterpreted but this seemed to be the case).

I've purchased dwarf citruses in the past from Four Winds Growers (they retail at Summerwinds, OSH and Lowe's etc). My experience with their trees has been great. I learnt about them on GW and lots of folks have had very good experience with their trees.

If you choose to purchase from a particular place, please do share the information and pictures (of your container) too! Good luck!!

• bahia
    13 years ago

Monterey Bay Nursery is wholesale, but they supply all of the local Bay Area retail nurseries, as well as places like OSH. I referenced their web site because they have such a wealth of great information.