Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Loropetalum pruning

Posted by habitat_gardener z9 CA/Sunset15 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 08 at 19:09

When it's planted with enough room to grow, Loropetalum is a wonderful shrub. Unfortunately, this almost never happens in my neighborhood. Down the street, they're poodled into little foot-wide shrublets (sort of like random bonsai).

A friend has some that were planted several years ago when her whole front yard was redesigned. They are starting to engulf everything around them. I told her the best thing is to take them out, because no room was allotted for them. She doesn't want to do that. So I offered to prune them, because I know if her yard guys do it, they'll probably look ugly (and I'll have to look at them every day). But they're only a foot or two high, and 6 to 8 feet wide, and I'm wondering if it's an impossible task.

Has anyone seen examples of well-pruned loropetalum that were planted in too-small spaces?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Loropetalum pruning

I've seen more examples of loropetalums that were, like your friend's, pruned into 8 foot wide pill boxes.

I can show you pictures of mine that I keep pruned to size. I cut back to a main stem.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This last pic are three that I let grow into trees, they take up less space that way.

It will probably not be possible to complete the pruning in one session.
You'll need to cut the horizontal limbs as far back as practical and
then do more pruning as the shrubs begin to grow vertically.
Nell

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here