Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing clivia in ground....irrigation needed?

Posted by mia1974 9b/ss15 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 19:30

I have about 15 clivia plants in a semi-shaded area. They all pulled through after this cold winter (a few had some frost damage, but they look ok now).
We are in the process of refining our drip irrigation system and I was wondering if these require a summer dry period or not? Should I keep them off of the main line entirely and just hand water them? If so, when should I do this and how often?

We have done xeriscaping everywhere, but since it doesn't rain here the entire summer long I do have to irrigate most areas occasionally (except the arbutus and some other native plants).

I checked out the clivia forum, but it seems most people are growing them in pots over there....
Thanks for any input :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing clivia in ground....irrigation needed?

Contact the University of California, Irvine, Arboretum, as they are likely to have useful information for you.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 1:40

Mine in the ground get regular (though modest) amounts of water via drippers. I think you can get away with no water at all in shady spots, though they look pretty tired by August. If they are getting some sun, without summer water they might get kind of toasty. They bloom even in deep, deep shade.

o

I do have most of mine in containers, but a couple in the ground close by a conifer on the edge of a lawn. They get summer water from the lawn sprinklers and some frost protection from the cedar tree. Several agapanthus nearby tend to overwhelm them. Al

o

I'm in Orange County near the beach. We planted clivia in our yard almost 30 years ago, They are in an area where my husband mounded soil up to a wall, and they are under light shade of a jacaranda and eucalyptus. Between the incline, the concrete footings and the roots of the trees, the soil there is pretty dry. It gets a smattering of moisture from the sprinklers, but not much, and I might train a hose on them a few times in the summer.

o

• Posted by socal23 USDA10/Sunset23 (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 0:03

All but one species of Clivia are from the eastern cape of South Africa which has a summer precipitation peak. Well established plants in a shady location can survive without irrigation in many areas of California, but they don't want or need a summer dormant period.

The one species native to a winter rainfall region isn't widely available yet (Yesterday I acquired two seedlings that haven't yet flowered - you don't want to know what I paid for them!).

Ryan

o

The more water,the better they do. Golden Gate Park has them as a big ground cover under towering Dicksonia tree ferns. The ground feels almost spongy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here