Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Building an informal path on clay

jenn
13 years ago

We want to build an informal path in our side yard. The side yard is about 20 feet wide and the path will be about 4 feet wide. The soil where the path will be built is bare and already compacted from years of walking on it. We want to cover it with some type of path material to prevent the dirt from blowing around in a strong afternoon breeze or high winds.

We want an informal look. We already have the stepping stones (round with small polished stones laid into cement) and would like to just lay them on top of the soil and fill in around them with very small river rock, then line the path with larger stones (about 4-5 inches). We'll probably line the bottom with a good weed barrier that allows water to drain.

Will this be a problem on clay soil? I read somewhere that the practice of putting gravel and/or sand on the bottom of a path is done primarily in areas that have frost heaving. We went through a very rainy season a few years ago with only (temporary) bark mulch on this area and did not have any problems with water running toward the foundation or puddling for too long on the surface.

Comments (18)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

Gravel or sand is a firmer base for whatever larger material you put on top and makes it easier to work. I don't know that you'd need it in that application. Go for it.

Dan

• jenn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Dan.

• jenn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Can anyone else weigh in from personal experience in a mild zone?

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

I have clay soil and have made several paths on the clay, with a good commercial landscape fabric, not that lightweight stuff I see being sold in most nurseries, go to a landscape supply. I have been using DG, decomposed granite, about two inches thick gradually added as it compacts. It makes a good hard surface to walk on and you can rake off the leaves and trash that accumulates. I like to use the new plastic bender board now available to edge any path and make it easier to maintain. Al

• jenn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Al. It sounds like you don't remove the soil several inches down, then build it up with layers of sand and gravel before adding the top layer -- is that correct?

Even in the heaviest/rainiest El Nino winter a few years ago, I don't recall water pooling on the soil in the area of this path, so I think we are safe to lay the stones directly on the soil and fill in with stones, DG, or whatever.

I am just hoping to hear from others (like you) who live in areas with mild winters (i.e. no frost heave) have done this and can report on the success.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    13 years ago

Jenn, I just put down a DG path lined with pavers down in the lower part of my yard. I'm not on clay, but this area is the very lowest part of my yard, where all our water drains down to via swales. DG should work very well in either situation, though - clay soil or something the drains a bit better (I've got a sandy DG/loam down there). DG is nice because you can get it in different colors, it's easy to maintain, and you can even spray it with a hardening product, so it stays put better, and will sort of harden. Plus, it's permeable, so rain will soak through. If you currently do not have a drainage issue, then I agree with Al - no need to grade or lay down gravel, sand then DG. If you do have areas that pool, I would make sure you've got your path graded away from the house, and put gravel, sand then DG down.

Patty S.

• jenn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Patty. We have a DG path in the front yard (it was re-landscaped last year by a local pro) and like the look very much. The thing is, we already have some leftover stepping stones and want to make use of them -- they are round, 12 or 16" diameter, with small river rocks set into the cement on the top. Not fancy but we already have them, and it doesn't make sense to purchase other stones (or not use them at all) when we already have these. So... we plan to fill in around them with some small smooth river rocks (about 1/2" in diameter).

Wolfinbarger has some we like, called Sunset Pebbles.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    13 years ago

I see, and that sounds really pretty, Jenn. I like the Sunset pebbles, the mixture of colors is really nice. With these pebbles, I think I would lay down either sand or landscaping cloth like Al recommended. Walking on those pebbles, even with stepping stones set in between after a rainy day could churn up some wet clay, and end up coating your pretty stones. It sounds really pretty, Jenn. Be sure to share some photos when you're done!

Patty S.

• jenn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And oh yes, I'll post photos!

13 years ago

Your stepping stones will work well with the DG. If you don't use the landscape fabric and SOME DG under the stepping stones they will not be stable in wet weather and you risk a mud problem. Al

13 years ago

Jenn the landscape fabric is heavy weaved plastic strands. I would not buy any without looking at it. Nurseries commonly use it for their pot growing areas. It lasts for many years exposed to the sun and being walked on with one gallon to five gallon pots moved around on it. I don't remember it being especially expensive. It is available in three foot by 100 foot roles and 10 foot by 100 foot roles. I have never seen a brand name, but I know it when I see it! If you like I will cut off a little piece and mail it to you. Al

• jenn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Al. Is the fabric water permeable so that water drains through it? I am assuming it is.

• loribee2
    13 years ago

Al, could you recommend a supplier in Sonoma County? I'm doing a path myself so this conversation has been very timely!

• jenn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Your stepping stones will work well with the DG. If you don't use the landscape fabric and SOME DG under the stepping stones they will not be stable in wet weather and you risk a mud problem.

Al: Do you mean to put a thin layer of DG between the landscape fabric and the stone? i.e. - On top of the fabric but under the stone?

What color is the fabric? Are you able to post a picture of it?

13 years ago

The fabric is black and water passes right through it. I have purchased mine from Tri-County Landscape supply in Watsonville and Harmony Farm Supply in Sonoma county, but it should be available from most landscape suppliers. Yes I would have about an inch of the DG under the stepping stones as well as about the same up the sides of the stones which will lock them in place as the DG packs. The strands of the fabric are about 1/16 inch wide and flat black plastic. What I see in the garden centers looks like the size of common thread. Al

• jenn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Al. I'll see if I can find it here.

• loribee2
    13 years ago

I've got to get myself over to Harmony Farms one of these days. I hear so many good things about it! I ended up getting a brand from Lowes, but it was billed as contractor grade, much thicker than the "tissue paper" roll I'd bought a couple years ago. Set me back $40 for 100 feet. But I had to get it done today.