Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Want to give dwarf spruce (albertiana) a haircut

Posted by bob_b Sunset 14, Ca. (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 8, 10 at 20:05

Can you cut these back into old wood, that is beyond the green needles. Mine is overgrown, and I need to cut it back, but I won't do so unless I know it will send new needles out on brown wood.

RB

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Want to give dwarf spruce (albertiana) a haircut

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 8, 10 at 23:02

Short answer: No.

o

• Posted by bob_b Sunset 14, Ca. (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 11, 10 at 15:37

It figures. I know a few conifers sprout out on old wood, but I can never remember which ones they are (redwood?).

RB

o

About 20 years ago a windstorm toppled a lot of mature trees in Strybing arboretum and the trees laid on the ground for several years as the crew gradually got to them. It was amazing to see redwoods on the ground with new shoots sprouting on the top through the thick bark of a redwood. Al

o

Doug fir is another which sprouts readily.

One of my nicest redwoods is one that sprouted after the poor little tree died back to the ground. When cut for fence posts the smaller ones will sprout, too, roots or no.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here