Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Full sun vine

Posted by westelle z9 Fresno, CA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 20:06

I need advice on a flowering vine/ viney plant that can survive our full CA Central Valley summer sun. It will get regular water. I hope to plant it against a wooden, stockade-type fence.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Full sun vine

Lots of vines that love full sun! Bouganvilla (beware sharp thorns), mandevilla or Mandevilla hybrids, trumpet vine (can get out of control), morning glory, and grapes.

I have a few plants of a mandevilla hybrid called Sun Parasol which is beautiful, but I am battling aphids on it this year :(

o

• Posted by jkom51 Z9 CA/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 18:43

You might want to check if passiflora will work in your zone. I love the coral one, but notice the Gulf Fritillary butterflies prefer the standard purple. In a good year, I get dozens of the GFs flying around (passiflora is all they eat as caterpillars) - beautiful!

o

thunbergia,the little yellow ones,look like mini sunflowers.Pink jasmine,purple potato vine,.
Kathi

o

Roses. I hear Fourth of July is good for hot areas.

o

Thank you, all. Some of these I'm familiar with and I'll check out the others.
I'd love a rose.

o

Iceberg roses do very well,and bloom off and on all year long here in S.ca.
Kathi

o

Solandra Grandiflora (Golden Chalice) takes full sun and makes beautiful flowers. I had a large vine when I lived in Venice, and I wish I had kept cuttings. For me, it bloomed all year, although somewhat less in winter.

Passion vine is another good choice, and you can get a lot of fruit from it. I would caution against a trumpet vine, as the dead limbs and leaves are a lot of work to remove - the same is true of jasmine. Solandra makes the least mess - the leaves are very large and very easy to remove after they fall.

Lars

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here