Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

Yellow Flowered Agapanthus Cultivar?

Does anyone know the name of this yellow or gold-flowered agapanthus cultivar? During the Encinitas Garden Festival this weekend, I saw the prettiest yellow agapanthus. I really looked hard to make sure I wasn't looking at a Clivia. I am very sure it was not, they really don't look that much alike (had a friendly argument with another person on the tour who thought it was a clivia). But, in doing an Internet search, I sure couldn't find one. Any know of a yellow-flowered agapanthus cultivar?? Here's a photo I snapped of the plant in flower:

{{gwi:529258}}

Patty S.

Comments (11)

• kelpmermaid
    12 years ago

Sorry, but it looks a lot like the yellow clivia that just finished blooming in my side yard.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmm, my orange clivias are much tighter in form and upright, with shorter flower stalks. Maybe this is the difference between yellow and orange clivias?

Patty S.

• bahia
    12 years ago

That is most definitely a yellow Clivia, it looks identical to those I grow up here. As far as I know, blue/purple/white are the only range of Agapanthus flower colors.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the confirmation, bahia. The yellow cultivars have a distinctly different form, both with the leaves, the flowers as well as the overall form than the orange clivias I have in my yard. Much different. Mine have a "chubby" leaf. They're so pretty, love that shade of yellow. I think I will definitely be adding them to my lower yard under the shade canopy. Here's what my orange clivias look like. The flower stalks stay kind of tucked in the center of the fat leaves (not my own clivias, but this is the cultivar I have:)
    {{gwi:529259}}

Patty S.

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

I have the same/similar yellow clivia. Just know that there are some that are very expensive and some that are not. I have the cheaper one and am happy with it.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Eloise. I would be happy with a more common yellow clivia, although in my Internet searches, I did see some very pretty peach colored clivias, which I'm sure are pricey. I'll see what my local gardening centers have, and check prices.

Patty S.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, I just have to say. I posted this question back to the folks at the Encinitas Garden Festival. I got a personal reply from none other than Nan Sterman, lucky me :-) I did tell her I was just a little mortified, as a Master Gardener, to misinterpret this as an agapanthus and not a clivia, seeing as I've grown clivias since the '60's, lol!! She is such a lovely person, and that was so nice of her to take time out of her busy day to answer me!!

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nan Sterman's

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Maybe this is the difference between yellow and orange clivias?

The stubbier leaves are something hybridizers select for. Stubby leaf occurs with all colors. The choicest plants have quite stubby leaves. There are yellows with stubby leaves; they are simply less common and more expensive than the long-leafed selections. If you look at the expensive Japanese cultivars they have super short leaves--a few inches.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, hoovb. So I have more desirable orange clivias, then, lol!! I'll have to see what I like, visually when I go to the nursery. I loved the clear yellow color, so pretty. I know there's a whole "cult" following with clivias, as there are with many other cultivars. I think we even have a Clivia Forum on GW. It's funny how certain things become coveted. It's like a particular fig variety I happened to get cuttings for - Ronde de Bordeaux. Have NO idea why this particular fig is the rage right now, but folks want my fig plants, now. We gardeners and horticulturalists can be a funny bunch :-)

Patty S.

• kelpmermaid
    12 years ago

Whatever color or leaf form they have, I think they're beautiful and particularly useful in dry shade.