Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosenemesis

I think it's peaking and spirea of the day (pics)

hosenemesis
12 years ago

I think my garden has hit its peak. Here are some photos. I cropped out the ugly parts.

Spirea of the Day:

{{gwi:529610}}

Marmalade Skies roses:

{{gwi:529611}}

Plum Pretty Whiskers irises:

{{gwi:529612}}

Julia Child:

{{gwi:529613}}

Henry Fonda rose:

{{gwi:529614}}

Renee

Comments (16)

• manifest
    12 years ago

So gorgeous and lush! I love the photo of the foxgloves behind the irises and the curved path between the roses & irises. I would never leave the house if my garden looked like that!

• wcgypsy
    12 years ago

Absolutely wonderful...I can't imagine that you have any ugly parts to crop. That's a skill I could use....

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

With a garden of such color, I would settle for what ever was cropped out. Al

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Oh Renee, your garden is just a delight. I always love the photos. The 'Marmalade Skies" roses are spectacular, how is that variety for mildew, rust, black spot??

Patty S.

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the kind words, all.
    Patty, it gets a little rust on the bottom leaves at the end of the year in winter. I pick all of the leaves off in Dec-Jan and scoop up the leaf litter now, and there is very little rust now. No mildew, no blackspot. It's a color that does not go well with everything, though. I have had trouble choosing companion plants, because I don't like blue and orange together.

Renee

• CA Kate z9
    12 years ago

Your garden is gorgeous, Renee. I always love the Iris.

• Lars
    11 years ago

It's obvious that you spend a lot of time there and it is a wonderful place to spend time! Your photos make me want to plant iris and foxgloves, but I don't have as much space as you do. I also like the wooden structures and the paved parts.

Lars

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous,and i can't imagine you having bad spots.

Do you ever enlarge your photos and frame them for use in your house??? I do,all the pictures on my bedroom walls are from my gardens,so i can enjoy them year round.
    kathi

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's a good idea, Kathi. Unfortunately, I have a bizarre peculiarity from my years as an art historian.

My name is Renee, and I'm an art snob.

I cannot have art on my walls unless it is by someone in Janss's History of Art. That limits my options, since I can't afford Michaelangelo. I put in windows instead. It gives the same effect as your garden photos.
    Renee

• gardendorkling
    11 years ago

I was just searching for "spirea" and came across this post. I just have to say it, your garden takes my breath away. There. Thank you for sharing something so beautiful. :)

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gee, thanks for posting. You made my day. I love my spireas, even though they don't do as well here as they do in 5b.
    Renee

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Oh Wow, your garden is beautiful. Hard for me to imagine anything that lush could exist in CA. Where are you located? Love the iris photo. I wish it was my screen saver.
    Just curious, how long have you been working on this beautiful space? Labor of love over time? Avid gardener, changing, adding or moving plants often? Is it a full time job keeping your garden in such fabulous shape?
    I'm new to this board, but I hope you aren't and that you post pictures often. Thanks for sharing!

• jenn
    11 years ago

Hard for me to imagine anything that lush could exist in CA.

Really? Where do you live in CA?

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

San Diego

• jakkom
    11 years ago

Gorgeous as always, Renee. You have such a wonderful sense of design and layout. Mine's a hodge-podge in comparison. I love the calm and order you bring to your plant selection.

Wow, interesting that your garden peaks in September! Up here in coastal NorCA mine peaks in May/June. I love your spirea; mine is awful (can't remember the variety name) and impossible to get rid of. Yours are wonderful, though.

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is an old post, jkom, from Spring. My garden currently resembles a satellite photo from Curiosity.

Thank you, Island. I try to get as much of the color green in as possible. The garden looks like this for about six weeks. I have been working on it piecemeal for over twelve years, and the only plants that have not been moved in these photos are the two Marmalade Skies roses. Thank goodness for irises, they don't mind being moved on an annual basis.