Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Callistemon pruning

Posted by gobluedjm 9/18 CA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 26, 10 at 22:00

Anybody have any experience with pruning them?

I have one and previous owner planted on a slope so some branches are almost to the ground. It seems to be a little thin compared to others I have seen. It wasn't staked when it should have been IMO.
I am concerned about pruning because of what the Western Garden book says...may not grow back.
It is flowering now and I know to wait after that. I should have done it 2 months ago. Will pruning it force more dense growth? What do you guys/gals think?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Callistemon pruning

My mother in law had one which had grown up through her arbor by about two feet. After her death I pruned the bottle brush way down to replace the damage to the arbor. The plant became fuller and much better behaved. We have one here that was planted about 30 years before the killing frost of 1990 that killed it to the ground. It took two years to reappear but quickly grew back to its former size. I have not noticed anything delicate about Callistemon. Al

o

I try to train mine to be thin and weeping. I love that.
Is it the shrubby variety or the weepy variety? There's a shrubby variety on our chain link fence that the neighbor's gardener shears like a hedge, and it grows very thick.
Renee

o

Its the weeping variety. I have a Little John also and it is very dense.
I can't even get close to it today cuz the orioles are around. :)

o

The Little John is a great selection and fits most gardens a lot better. Too many nurseries do not offer it. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here