Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
flowering ground cover for shade?

Posted by ccodd sacramento, ca (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 13, 10 at 22:31

One of my catalogs lists the groundcover Bellium, Miniature Mat Daisy, as a white daisy flower that will grow in full shade. I've been looking for years for a flowering shade ground cover and haven't really found anything I'm happy with. Not at all sure I believe their ad, sounds too good to be true. Anyone have any experience with this? Is it a Bellis, English Daisy?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: flowering ground cover for shade?

My favorite flowering groundcovers for shade:

Ajuga reptans CARPET BUGLE
Campanula portenschlagiana DALMATIAN BELLFLOWER
Campanula poscharskyana SERBIAN BELLFLOWER
Eomecon chionantha SNOW POPPY
Satureja douglasii YERBA BUENA
Saxifraga stolonifera STRAWBERRY SAXIFRAGE
Trachelospermum asiaticum CONFEDERATE JASMINE
Vinca minor DWARF TRAILING PERIWINKLE
Viola hederacea AUSTRALIAN VIOLET (may not be suitable for Sacramento)

Joe

o

I have never seen it in this neck of the woods down south, at least not in flats or as groundcover. It doesn't look anything like English Daisy to me. The other garden site describes it as a rock garden type of a plant for full sun or partial shade.

How much shade are we talking? I grow Santa Barbara daisies in partial shade, along with the ever-spreading violets.
Renee

o

Forget-me-nots, bleeding hearts and a pale pink species geranium are my choices. (Can you tell I like weedy plants?) They are so beautiful under the blooming Occidentale azaleas now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here