Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jen1262

Silver Maple in Northern CA?

jen1262
10 years ago

Does anyone know when Silver Maple trees leaf out in Northern CA? Just moved to a house with a large one very close to the house. Any pros/cons to this tree?

Comments (7)

• napapen
    10 years ago

This tree is very invasive in the root system!! We took ours out!

• Bob_B
    10 years ago

These trees can be enormous. Unless you live on a park like estate, I suggest you take it out while it's small.

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

You really do not want a silver maple to be close to your house. In addition to the root system problems many people experience, these trees tend to have weak branches. It is not uncommon for large branches to break in winds and cause major damage. They can also be messy, plugging up gutters.

To be fair, the pros are they are pretty, quick growing and provide shade. But planters need to pick the location with care, because the negatives can be an expensive learning experience.

• jakkom
    10 years ago

I've got one in our backyard, fortunately well away from the house - although I can't promise it hasn't invaded the sewer line out there. Fortunately it's all downhill [smile].

Pros: Leaves are pretty in summer, rustle nicely, good shade. Leaves break down quickly for good compost.

Cons: Wow, where do I start? They almost NEVER turn a good color in Northern CA, because it doesn't get cold enough and when the rains come they all fall off. If you want a large fast-growing tree with extensive roots, at least a liquidamber (sweetgum) will turn pretty colors in fall in our climate!

More cons: It takes work to kill this tree. Ours was cut down once, maybe in the 1960's and simply resprouted five new trunks. When we bought the house in 1989 it was a full-grown tree again. I have it lopped back every two years, although I despise pollarding. But otherwise I'd completely lose my gorgeous east-facing hill view, despite the fact that the silver maple's base is 30' below the level of our panoramic kitchen windows.

I really like this tree in the summer. But really, that's only 3 months out of the year. The rest of the time, I wish the previous owners had planted something else!!

• OregonGrape
    10 years ago

Cut it down. They grow too quickly and will lose large limbs in wind, snow, and ice storms.

If you want a tall-ish maple, I'd suggest California boxelder (Acer negundo californicum) or Douglas' maple (Acer glabrum).

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

I disagree about boxelder; it has many of the same problems as silver maples. It grows quickly, it's poor form produces weak branches that break easily (even though it is sometimes used as a windbreak plant), it is messy and short lived.

• Soumil Yarlagadda
    4 years ago

take it out. if you want a maple, get a red maple or something