Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socks12345

Oleander dying

socks
10 years ago

We have had an oleander hedge between our home and our neighbor's. It has been there at lease 40 years. The last few months it has started to die and is just about completely dead. I recently noticed another dying oleander in another yard. Is something killing oleander?

Comments (10)

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

Well, there is always the Oleander Leaf Scorch. OLS has killed a great number of oleanders since it was first noticed in the 1990s. Southern California was hit especially hard, but the problem has spread through southern parts of the U.S. It is caused by the bacterium Xylella fastidiosa, which is spread by insects, primarily sharpshooters. It can take 3-5 years for the plant to die after the first signs of the disease. There is no cure.

The progress generally visually starts by a yellowing of the leaves on some of the branches, especially on the margins, and wilting. The leaves then begin to get darker, brown margins that spread until the whole leaf is involved; it looks quite a bit like scorch damage, hence the name. More branches become affected. Hot weather speeds up the process. As whole branches die, you may see some new, green growth from the base of the oleander, but it won't matter. The plant is doomed, I'm sorry to say.

What symptoms are your plants exhibiting during the dying process?

• nil13
    10 years ago

40 years? That's about the lifespan of oleander. If it were my hedge, I would start thinking about replacing the whole thing.

• socks
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, it could be disease or old age. Actually not sure how long the oleanders have been there, but the house was built in 1939, so they could have even been planted then. Eventually they will need to be removed, and we'll fill in with something other than oleander.

Couple pix just for the record:

• socks
    Original Author
    10 years ago

{{gwi:529940}}

• nil13
    10 years ago

Well old age and disease go together.

• socks
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can vouch for that! :-) Thanks everyone.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

The only other thing I could think of besides the previously mentioned is: did you check the irrigation to the Oleanders--is it working? We have been in a drought lately.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

Well I am sorry to hear about the lifespan of Oleanders. I have 150 planted in 1957 screening the county road. They have not been watered sense being established. Every 10 years or so I cut them back down to about 4 to 5 feet. They have always seemed to be bullet proof. Al

• aquilachrysaetos
    10 years ago

I lost an 80 foot hedge of Oleander to the Scorch a number of years ago. I think i removed the last of it about 6 years ago. I planted privet in its place and that did very poorly. A mixture of Cape honeysuckle, Lady Banks rose and California rose have done much better but they still are not as thick or handsome as the Oleander was.

• socks
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We have never specifically watered the oleanders. They get water from nearby watered shrubs and from the neighbor who waters a lot (the oleanders are on the property line).