Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homeria Bulbs.

Posted by dragonsmist 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 11, 11 at 23:16

Does anyone know a nursery that might sell these and are willing to ship them? My granny gave me a few bulbs and when we moved I don't know what happened to them. I want to replace them as these were the last flowers gran gave to me. seems I am on a endless quest for these. Thank you Marie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homeria Bulbs.

I have never seen them for sale since the 60's. I gave some of my canteloupe orange one to a friend and they are going great guns for her. Mine in clay soil aren't multiplying.

Every bulb lover in mild winter areas should have this. Great little bulb. Actually great little tall bulb.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 12, 11 at 9:19

Suncrest Wholesale Nursery in Watsonville sells this plant, and your local retail nursery should be able to order some in for you. For some reason, it is not a popular or easily available bulb, but does very well in California conditions, as long as you give it good drainage and avoid watering it in summer.

o

• Posted by socalgal USDA z10 Sunset z24% (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 13, 11 at 8:36

If you live in California you can order them from here in June.

Here is a link that might be useful: south african bulbs

o

That's one of my problems. I do not live in California. They used to sell them here but the nursery I bought from shut down years ago.

o

You can try www.silverhillseeds.com
If you want to know how good they are go to
South African native plant forum & to thread 'S.A.Seeds'

Here is a link that might be useful: Hormeria

o

Sometimes plants "disappear" due to changes in nomenclature that are implemented by vendors but not by gardeners. Homeria was resorbed back into Moraea some years back. Try searching for Moraea collina and see if you find anything.

o

I did try that when they first did put them back into that genus. I tried several nurseries in California but they say they can not ship out of state. Some do not even understand why the ban has been put on them as they are so rare to find. They were at one time listed as a weed but not very many people even have these as weeds. Jim Duggan the bulb man even says he can not ship out of state and says that even though they are listed as weeds that it is a wrong assessment of them. I had bulbs for years and none ever got out of place. If they are weeds mine were very very very tame. I would love just to have a few again.

I am going to try to see if can find any oversees and go from there. Unless I find them here somewhere.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here