Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
root pruning potted boxwood??

Posted by bettyn_gardener 9 Sunset 14 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 07 at 23:22

I have six boxwoods in 18" Mexican pots and I'm thinking that they are probably pot bound. They've been in these pots for at least 5 or 6 years and they are not holding moisture for very long. I've heard of "root pruning" but I've never done it. Any thoughts? I would prefer not to get bigger pots for the deck they are on.

I've also had the Mexican pots break apart when I try to get a pot bound plant out of them. I would like to try to save them - any way to prevent that? - although they're so inexpensive at the NorCal outlet, it's not a huge big deal...

BettyN

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: root pruning potted boxwood??

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 25, 07 at 17:07

Once you get them out of the pots, trim off about an inch of old soil and roots all around, and then repot with fresh soil and add some time release fertilizer. Try using a sharp kitchen knife against the sides of the pots to more easily get them out.

o
RE: root pruning potted boxwood??

Five or six years in the same potting soil, the organic components are surely long ago turned to dust. Every three years I would change the soil and re-prune to keep your boxwood looking its best. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here