Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bahia_gw

Isn't orange the state color?

bahia
13 years ago

There is a lot more in the way of orange possibilities than California poppies and oranges on the trees... If you're a fan of this color like I am, here's some food for thought, all from SF Bay Area gardens, but likely to do as well anywhere in coastal California. If I've left out your favorite orange themed plant, add something from your garden!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20217462@N02/sets/72157626423563766/with/5525128696/

Comments (10)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

I am with you. I like plants that are not known for their cool colors. Living Easy Rose, Scadoxus, and Clivia are some of my favorites for "in your face" orange. Al

• sffog
    13 years ago

San Francisco Giants "orange" flowers and rich black soil. lol

• borderbarb
    13 years ago

I think that CA's state colors are BLUE & GOLD. The poppies always seem gold, rather than orange.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    13 years ago

With you, calistoga. I love Clivia's pop of bright orange in the shade. And speaking of cool orange/gold roses, try 'About Face', very spectacular color, a reverse bi-color rose. Thanks for all the gorgeous plant "eye candy" David! Very lovely. And, I sent you a GW message about my landscaping plan needs.

Patty S.

• wanda
    13 years ago

Wonderful collection of Orange! I too have a penchant for the oranges.
    Orange Watsonia, Chasmanthes, Bubinella, Crocosmia (Emily Mckensie is a favorite), Orange Nasturtiums, orange Tigridia, Tecomaria, some species Gladiolas (South African) all have spots in my garden.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

LOVE ORANGE. Mostly just to be difficult, since all of my gardening buddies have pastels, blues, purples, pinks- you know, Barbie colors. I must have orange nasturtiums every year, tiger lilies, Marmalade Skies floribunda rose, Bronze Star hybrid tea rose, lots and lots of aloes and echeverrias, Asiatic lilies, Daylilies, clivias, impatiens, irises, bird of paradise. I could go on and on. Thanks for the orange rush.

• faerygardener z7 CA
    13 years ago

Have just been noting the orange daffodils to get some for next season - Orangery, Kedron, Mordern Art and Professor Einstein are the most striking. Uploaded a bunch of pictures to my blog Posts Daffodil Dilemmas and Differing Daffodils).

Haven't posted much here since my move to the mountains (there are so few colder zone CA folks posting) - every time I edit and fix my zone (now 7) it resets, hmnn.

New love for orange as well. Coppers and oranges blend more with the summer brown landscape around me - the pink cottage thing looks wrong here.

Here is a link that might be useful: mists and enchantments my blog

• dicot
    13 years ago

Anyone ever try the Prince of Orange oriental poppy? I've only seen pictures, but I'm sure tempted to try, although I doubt they'd be more than annuals here.

• elvie z9CA
    13 years ago

Can you please put it up as a link to click on, it is not letting me paste it. Thanks.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

here's the link elvie.

Another orange lover. I love that Arctotis 'Pink Sugar'. Pink looks great with orange.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to orange pictures