Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Isn't orange the state color?

Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 3, 11 at 23:27

There is a lot more in the way of orange possibilities than California poppies and oranges on the trees... If you're a fan of this color like I am, here's some food for thought, all from SF Bay Area gardens, but likely to do as well anywhere in coastal California. If I've left out your favorite orange themed plant, add something from your garden!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20217462@N02/sets/72157626423563766/with/5525128696/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Isn't orange the state color?

I am with you. I like plants that are not known for their cool colors. Living Easy Rose, Scadoxus, and Clivia are some of my favorites for "in your face" orange. Al

o

• Posted by sffog 10/SanFran (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 4, 11 at 11:48

San Francisco Giants "orange" flowers and rich black soil. lol

o

I think that CA's state colors are BLUE & GOLD. The poppies always seem gold, rather than orange.

o

With you, calistoga. I love Clivia's pop of bright orange in the shade. And speaking of cool orange/gold roses, try 'About Face', very spectacular color, a reverse bi-color rose. Thanks for all the gorgeous plant "eye candy" David! Very lovely. And, I sent you a GW message about my landscaping plan needs.

Patty S.

o

Wonderful collection of Orange! I too have a penchant for the oranges.
Orange Watsonia, Chasmanthes, Bubinella, Crocosmia (Emily Mckensie is a favorite), Orange Nasturtiums, orange Tigridia, Tecomaria, some species Gladiolas (South African) all have spots in my garden.

o

LOVE ORANGE. Mostly just to be difficult, since all of my gardening buddies have pastels, blues, purples, pinks- you know, Barbie colors. I must have orange nasturtiums every year, tiger lilies, Marmalade Skies floribunda rose, Bronze Star hybrid tea rose, lots and lots of aloes and echeverrias, Asiatic lilies, Daylilies, clivias, impatiens, irises, bird of paradise. I could go on and on. Thanks for the orange rush.

o

Have just been noting the orange daffodils to get some for next season - Orangery, Kedron, Mordern Art and Professor Einstein are the most striking. Uploaded a bunch of pictures to my blog Posts Daffodil Dilemmas and Differing Daffodils).

Haven't posted much here since my move to the mountains (there are so few colder zone CA folks posting) - every time I edit and fix my zone (now 7) it resets, hmnn.

New love for orange as well. Coppers and oranges blend more with the summer brown landscape around me - the pink cottage thing looks wrong here.

Here is a link that might be useful: mists and enchantments my blog

o

Anyone ever try the Prince of Orange oriental poppy? I've only seen pictures, but I'm sure tempted to try, although I doubt they'd be more than annuals here.

o

Can you please put it up as a link to click on, it is not letting me paste it. Thanks.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 7, 11 at 17:04

here's the link elvie.

Another orange lover. I love that Arctotis 'Pink Sugar'. Pink looks great with orange.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to orange pictures

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here