Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liquid_skies

Please help indentify this plant

liquid.skies
11 years ago

Hello there, this is my first posting here, I was wondering if you could help me identify this plant. It seems to they grew a bit taller than it should and I would like to read a bit on how I can prune them in such a way I won't damage them.

Thank you so much,

Erica

Comments (9)

• liquid.skies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

... oh, only if I can figure out how to post pictures :)

• liquid.skies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Finally figured out how to upload it on flicker, link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: What kind of plant is this?

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Erica, if you could get a close up of these trees it would be easier to ID. And, you can copy the HTML code (NOT the URL or hyperlink) into the body of your message, you'll then have the photos embedded right in your message. You'll know you did it right if you actually see the photo in your message when you click on the "Preview Message" button.

Patty S.

• liquid.skies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Patty, here they are, I hope it helps ...

I am not sure what exactly HTML code means, and I don't see the pictures in the message, I copied what flicker gave me ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77893736@N07/6995058772/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/77893736@N07/6995058680/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/77893736@N07/7141148671/

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

It looks like Pittosporum tenufolium planted as a screen, about 10 years ago. Yearly pruning is required to keep it from getting too tall and ragged looking. Al

• liquid.skies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for helping me to identify the plant. I will also ask the gardener (who, unfortunately does not seem to know too much) if the plant will survive aggressive pruning. I am thinking to ask him to cut several feet from top down and flatten the top at about 8-9 feet from the ground.

Will the plants be OK after that, or they'll die because they'll lose too much foliage?

Thank you!

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

Pruning down to your suggested height should not be a problem, but I would do it in the winter, unless you are on the coast with mild summers. You really should edit your name where it says"none" to indicate your location or zone. Al

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Yes, topping them down to 8 or 9 feet should be fine. To get more density/fullness, adequate water and fertilizer, then tip prune and tip prune and tip prune the new growth to gradually develop more leafy stems.

The basic problem is they are planted too close to each other and too close to the fence, so can't develop enough branching and foliage to look really good. Someone was in a hurry to get a screen and didn't think long-term.

Good care and patient light trimming over a period of time can make them look a lot better than they look now, though.

• liquid.skies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Al, thanks, I have updated my profile, apparently I am in zone 10. Not sure what that means for Pittosporum, though. As for the other lady or gentleman who answered my post, thank you, the fact they're so close to each other can be solved by removing one or two of them, there are two plants who have very little foliage anyway ...