Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imahousenewbie

How to/can I grow bougainvillea on top of this pergola?

imahousenewbie
12 years ago

We're installing a solar system on the top of our front patio, and in order to cover up the ugly tilted undersides, which will be visible from the street and ruin the pretty Spanish courtyard's look, we want to add a 18" tall lattice panel to the top (it will sit on top of the uppermost beam, and add 18" of height). What I'd really like to do is grow some brightly colored climbing flowers all across that lattice, especially something reddish-pink or orange. I really like the look of bougainvillea.

My question is, do you think that would be possible in this particular case? Here's a pic of the house as it is currently: {{gwi:530383}}
And a photoshopped version of what I HOPE to achieve:

{{gwi:530384}}
How long would it take to grow across, if I planted a bush on either side? What's the best way to achieve this look? Will strategically placed hanging baskets work, or do I need to grow it from the ground up? How would I go about starting?

Also, do you have any other suggestions for plants that might give a similar look, grow fast, and thrive well with little care? I'd appreciate it, I'm pretty lost when it comes to gardening, and I want to make it look good!

Comments (10)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

If you are in an area which supports bougainvillea, no frost and plenty of sunshine, I think it would work well. As you profess to be a new gardener I would suggest you hire a professional for this job, as these are often lost while getting established. If you spend a couple of years and have to replace the plants, it would have been cheaper to have paid for a good start. Al

• lynne3450
    12 years ago

This interests me, too, as we have a pergola on top of which I'd like to grow something like Bouganvilla.

No advice, just wanted to chime in and say your property is GORGEOUS!

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

I concur with Al. I think Bougainvillea is actually a good choice. Bougainvillea can be a little bit fussy at first. Having a professional get the plants in correctly, and your sprinkling system set up so they do not go without adequate water for the first couple of years is the key. They do not like their roots disturbed, they have to be planted with care. They need a fair amount of water, and regular watering to get established, but once established, they grow VERY fast and can be VERY vigorous, as well as drought tolerant. But, they respond very well to pruning (just wear the most heavy duty long rose gloves you can find). They will die back if there's a significant frost, but if they're established, they'll bounce right back. Mine all got nipped pretty good, and one really looked awful. Now it is full, green and covered with lovely orangey-pink blossoms. I think it would look very appropos across your patio roof.

Patty S.

• la_kitty
    12 years ago

I love the idea of bougainvillea. I have a SanDiego Red arched over my driveway and it's very beautiful! I also have two Barbara Karst one growing over my front entrance and the other climbing up a cordyline australis. The only negative I have to say is that when they drop their bloom, it's a little messy! It fits my style though as I'm very casual!!

• chadinlg Zone 9b Los Gatos CA
    12 years ago

I think you may be happier with a true vine that climbs naturally. The Bougainvillea really wants to be a sprawling shrub and must be pruned and trained frequently to assume the form that you show. A vine will also need pruning, but will go to the top of your arbor naturally. I think you are looking at 3-4 years before 2 Bougainvillea plants (assumed one on each side) will meet in the center. Also consider the area that the plants are placed in - is there walking by room for a thorny shrub ? or should it be "tight" to a support post.

Chad

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Wait- are there solar panels behind the lattice? You won't have any solar hitting those panels if you grow bougainvillea up there.

Can you please explain how the layout looks from the top? I fear the bougie would take over the entire roof of your patio in no time at all, and they are very difficult to keep pruned in a situation like that. My dad has a 18x24 foot patio cover that is completely engulfed with one bougie, and it is cascading down the sides and has to be trimmed constantly. Lots and lots of dead brown stuff under it too. Not a good plant to keep restricted to a 3 foot tall two foot wide space, if that's your idea.

Star Jasmine might work, as long as you can get up there to trim it several times a year.

Renee

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

You can certainly do bougies, but remember you'll need to trim them regularly to keep them in bounds. Are you willing to commit to that kind of maintenance?

And every few years, cutting them almost down to nothing to get rid of all the dead material that builds up underneath. When they are thoroughly established, you can cut them down to the ground and they will come back rapidly.

It certainly can be done, but keep maintenance in mind. Too much dead material build up and you are inviting rats to move in.

• bahia
    12 years ago

I'd suggest that it would be easier to maintain clearance for the solar panels to get full sun and also have a vine get big enough to screen the view from the street if you would consider adding a trellis/pergola to fit over the wall forward of the arbor, or maybe just a pergola over the gate area, and plant 2 15 gallon sized bougainvilleas at the front of the wall to climb up the new pergola over the gate. Trying to face the existing arbor with solar panels at the front with something as fast growing as bougainvillea isn't smart from a maintenance standpoint, you'll eventually have to prune it regularly to avoid shading out the solar panels.

If you were simply to plant bougainvillea to climb up the walls from the front, over time, the vines could become at least 18 inches taller than the top of the wall with a bit of regular pruning, and accomplish the objective with no need for additional structure. Other vines/espaliered type shrubs that could do the same might include Grewia occidentalis, Podranea ricasolaena, Tecomaria capensis, etc. You might also want to consider framing the entry walk with another set of accent upright palms/accents such as Phoenix roebellenii or Strelitzia nicholai to repeat the formality of the Queen palms in the courtyard, and frame the entry while further screening the roof solar collectors.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    12 years ago

Bouganvilla gets rampant..and since you want it to cover a large area..I can see it getting out of control. The thorny branches,height..lots of work.
    I've seen what you might like with Blood Red Trumpet or aka Mexican Trumpet vine..mixed with jasmines and Podranea's of different colors..very nice. The Mexican trumpet can get large..but no thorns and always evergreen,and seems to take shearing in stride.
    You might need one strong grower..as the wait for light duty vines could be years to fill in like what you want.

• Dra Yiddish Meléndez
    3 years ago

My terrace!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?