Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jardinerowa

general fertilizing question

jardinerowa
12 years ago

I couldn't find a "fertilizer" forum, so I'm just going to post it here.

I have two fertilizers. One 24-8-16 with minors, and Alaska's morbloom 0-10-10. I can't buy any more fertilizer as I'm on a fixed income.

The first fertilizer is water-soluble. When they tell you how much to mix per gallon of water, are they saying that you fertilize with just one gallon of water, or are they saying you mix it according to the directions, and you water with fertilizer mixed as much as you need to water at that moment?

The morbloom says to mix 1 TBS per gallon per 25 square feet of garden. Does that mean that the gallon that I mix has to be sprinkled on at least approx that area or can I use all of it on a sinkle plant watering it?

I will add that I dilute usually to half of what the directions just because I'd rather underfertilize than burn the plants. Thanks.

Z

Comments (9)

• trick187
    12 years ago

What are you fertilizing? Just start a compost pile. (free)
    Compost is the best fertilizer and will not burn your plants.

• jardinerowa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Composting would be great, but I don't know really anything about it.

I have everything from Brugmansia, to Bananas, to Hibiscus, to Plumeria. I know they have different needs and I'm giving phosphorous to those I want to bloom more, except for Hibiscus Rosa Sinensis.

Z

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Providing phosphorous to increase bloom is a widespread myth.

The way to obtain the expected amount of flowers is to have a healthy, mature plant capable of flowering that receives adequate SUNLIGHT (min. 6 hours) and is pruned correctly and at the correct time.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

My personal fertilizing rule is to use nothing but compost on my garden soil. Containers however are the place to use the chemical fertilizers as they have no connection with the garden soil and no way to benefit from the microbes in the garden. If for some reason you don't make your own compost from your garden waste, most municipal waste departments offer it at very reasonable prices. Al

• chadinlg Zone 9b Los Gatos CA
    12 years ago

Since no one actually answered your question,

When you mix the fertilizer use only an amount to water each plant as you would normally water. If plants are in pots only water as much as will not drain out of the pot or you are wasting the fertilizer.

One strategy which works well is to mix the fertilizer 1/4 strength (or less) and use to water when-ever you normally water or once a week. This has a better effect than a monthly jolt of nutrients.

If you need free fertilizer you may want to search the forums for info on using urine as fertilizer, gross yes, but it does work.

12 years ago

You do not indicate any of your plants are in containers, however if they are I must answer the above comment about watering containers, with or without fertilizer. It is recommended when you water a container about 10 to 15% of the water should be seen exiting the drain holes. If you do not you will build up salts in your container causing the leaf tip and margin burn, so often seen on container grown plants. Al

• jardinerowa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you guys for your responses. I wasn't able to get a hold of compost this year but I hear you that it's the best thing out there and I hope to get some when I can.

I have some plants in containers, but most are in ground. I do know about watering so that it drains out the containers to get rid of excess salts. What about in the ground?
    I have bananas in a certain area that has rocks as the edges. Every so often I like to flood the area (very rarely) to water deeply and also to get rid of excess salts but here's the thing. There is no outlet for the water, I mean that the water doesn't drain out somewhere, it just soaks into the ground. Does that still get rid of salts or do I have to actually provide a way for the water to drain outside the garden area. Sorry for this silly question.

Z

12 years ago

The water applied to your garden is dissipated through evaporation from the surface, transpiration from the plants foliage, and leaching through the soil. As I don't use chemical fertilizers on my garden I have no worries about salts from mineral fertilizers. Your use of chemical fertilizers on your garden soil should not ever collect in your garden soil and be a problem, but if your soil is kept composted on a regular schedule, the chemicals are not needed. Al

• jardinerowa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Al, I don't know or think it's a problem, I just wasn't sure if it's a possibility. But it seems that salt buildup is pretty much an issue in container culture.

Z