Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hello from Long Beach

Posted by Codyjp none (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 14 at 3:05

I just finally signed up to this site after reading for a few years through google searches.

We live on a 8600sf lot in Long Beach and have owned our place for 2.5 years. So far we have 9 citrus, 2 avocados (Carmen Hass and Fuerte), a mango, 2 peach/nectarine/plum graft conglomerate things, 2 apples, kiwis, hops, olives, veggies, grapes, bananas plumerias and pomegranates. We also have a thriving and ever growing succulent garden that my wife is looking after. Also we have 2 bee hives, one that we will keep, and another that needs a home.

The avocados are our best crop. I picked my first Carmen hass fruit 2 years to the day from it's first planting and my fuerte set fruit after 2 years. The carmen is truly a beast, everything as advertised and more. My mango is going gangbusters even though it's just been in the ground a year this week. I have 6 fruit on it and it's growing like a weed. Once I figured out my citrus needed water and TONS of nitrogen they've taken off. My peaches and apples are more interested in death than growing, as are my kiwis. I think they must be emo. My hop plant thinks it's ground cover and also isn't interested in living in the heat. Otherwise, we've taken to planting our front gardens with a combination of a few 'pretty' plants and lots of herbs and veggies. All of the fruit trees are in my front yard and so far the neighbors seem to be quite intrigued by the orchard and are clueless to the fact that our 'flower' garden is actually our food garden.

Anyway, I'm hoping to do some learning, teaching and maybe even some trading.

-Cody

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hello from Long Beach

Great job Cody! Sounds like y'all are swimming in lots of tasty fruits and veggies, enjoy!

o

Hi Cody. Glad you joined. Sounds as if your garden and orchard are thriving. I have never met anyone else in SoCal that had a hop. Mine was not any more fond of the climate, but it was an experiment. I often try growing new plants just to check them out; many of my favorites have been discovered that way! Hope you share more about your gardening experiences in the GW forums.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, May 14, 14 at 10:54

I've been interested in the Carmen-Hass, good to know it's been successful for you. I know several people with successful apples, so keep trying.

Welcome, enjoy, keep posting! :)

o

Hello from Pasadena. I would like to purchase a Carmen Avocado Tree. Can you tell me where you got yours? What size was it when you planted?

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 18:06

samvee, there's a new garden center on Tustin & 17th in Santa Ana that will have them. Problem is, it's not quite open for business. Call and see if they have them in stock, if you want to drive that far...

Here is a link that might be useful: LHN reopening in Santa Ana

o

If Gary is opening LHN (again!) that is extraordinary good news. His dad's nursery in Lake Forest was the best and Gary has incredible knowledge. When the father died, the siblings sold the property and Gary has been hopping around since. I do hope this is true.
The lakeland grapes and red sufflolk he grafted are tip top producers with very wonderful and sturdy fruit. He picked the right variety peach 15 years ago for my microclimate.
I will be all over this location and keeping fingers crossed.
Laguna Beach here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here