Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hard to kill & Productive Tomato varieties to grow in Central Val

Posted by sumith2008 9 (My Page) on
Thu, May 9, 13 at 3:14

I live in the Central Valley. It gets really hot quickly and I am looking for solid tomato varieties that set & produce well. At the same time looking for plants that have decease resistance. My goal is to test out root stocks for some tomato grafting.

Can anyone list any favorites that never fail (for the most part) year after year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hard to kill & Productive Tomato varieties to grow in Central

I don't know if any tomato is more "hard to kill" than others, but hot weather tomatoes is a frequent topic on the tomato foum, but of course most of those people live where their experience is heat = humidity, so their answers really don't apply to our weather.
Here is my list from 13 years of growing in Sacramento:

Large varieties for hot weather (above 100 degrees):

Mexico, Giant Belgium, Stump of the World, Marianna's Peace, Big Beef, Brandy Boy, Boondocks

Medium varieties: Stupice, Jetsetter, Arkansas Traveler, Burgundy Traveler, Manalucie, Moskvich, Orange Russian 117 (altough these can grow to beefsteak size), Peron, Jubilee, Heidi

and

just about all cherry/grape tomatoes.

And FYI I have found that it does help with fruit set if you shade them in the hottest part of the day, and hose them down with cool water when the humidity is low.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here