Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bahia_gw

May Flowers from Berkeley

bahia
12 years ago

I realize that most people think of roses this time of year as the big floral show in mid May, but I have a garden that is mostly part shade. Here's an arrangement picked from my own garden, featuring some less common or even down right rare flowers that thrive here in Berkeley. The Bartlettina sordidum is a very large shrub/small tree with outrageously large felty tropical looking foliage and giant Ageratum-type flowers. The Odontonema callistachya is a purple flowering form of the more commonly seen O. stricta with red flowers, and also gets quite large, to 8 feet tall. In southern California the Odontonema blooms in winter, but here in Berkeley the flower buds don't actually show color until late April in my garden. The green flowers are a rare plant from Southern Mexico by the name of Mathiasella blupueroides, named for botanist Mildred Mathias of UCLA, and could be described as a look alike for Corsican Hellebore if it were a semiscandent shrub. The pale green flowers keep their good looks for a good 4 to 6 months in my garden, and the pale blue gray foliage isn't too shabby either.

Here is a link that might be useful: May flowers from a Berkeley garden

Comments (7)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

A stunning arrangement. Would love to see the shrub/tree Bartlettina sordidum in bloom. Al

• bahia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Al, here's a photo of the Bartlettina in bloom. Unfortunately each flower cluster only last about 10 days before they start to turn brown, and it seems that they turn to seed almost immediately and start to blow away in the wind. No frost hardiness to speak of, the foliage gets damaged right at 32F, but it is a great understory tall shrub/small tree that blooms in fairly deep shade below pines or cypresses, and takes full sun in my Berkeley garden. My plant used to have the overhead protection of a large arching Japanese Plum tree, but I lost the tree to old age about 5 years ago, so the Bartlettina has had to adjust to full sun. As a result, it now usually gets a bit of frost burn almost every winter, and so I don't get to keep the extra large leaves all winter like I used to.

I like the very similar but much smaller Ageratum corymbosum shrub that grows to about 4 feet tall and also blooms now. This shrub also repeat blooms over a 6 month period, and the foliage turns purple with a bit of cold and sun. It is also a bit hardier, and doesn't show any cold damage down to about 28/29F, and also comes from southern Mexico.

Here's the Bartlettina:

Here is a link that might be useful: Bartlettina sordidum

• jenn
    12 years ago

Beautiful... Where do you find your unusual plants?

• bahia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Northern California and the East Bay/Berkeley area in particular are a mecca for lovers of unusual plants. We have some really good retail nurseries such as Annie's Annuals Nursery, The Dry Garden Nursery, Berkeley Horticulture Nursery, East Bay Nursery, to name just a few. I am good friends with the owners of Annie's and The Dry Garden Nursery, and they let me know of new plants they are growing they think I might be interested in, and I constantly suggest plants they should grow/sell as well. I've also gotten some of my favorite plants from the local botanic garden sales at Strybing, UC Berkeley, UC Santa Cruz as well as from the Huntington. Closer to you in southern California, I've gotten some really unusual plants from Gary Hammer when he still had his Desert to Jungle nursery in Montebello, and also plants from Kartuz in Vista. Wholesale nurseries such as Suncrest, Monterey Bay Nursery, San Marcos Growers, Emerisa, Rosendale Nursery have also been great sources over the years.

None of these flowering plants are particularly rare anymore, but still not seen all that often in residential gardens. Here's a photo of another Ageratum relative in one of my garden designs...

Here is a link that might be useful: Ageratum corymbosum in bloom

• bahia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A shot of some understory perennials for trailing color beneath a large potted Eureka lemon in an Oakland Hills garden. I like how the Bacopa and Calibrochoa mingle and complement each other, and can stay in bloom like this for about 9 or 10 months out of the year in a warm spot such as this protected sideyard passageway.

Proof that it isn't absolutely necessary to keep bare soil below a citrus tree, as long as they are limbed up a bit to give sufficient light, and the understory plants are compatible for water requirements.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bacopa and Calibrochoa

• jenn
    12 years ago

bahia - thank you for answering my question. The designs in your photos are beautiful.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Beautiful. I love the colors in your bouquet. The green flowers are really cool- kind of like a euphorbia flower. Very unique!
    Renee