Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calistoga_al

An unclaimed asset

{{gwi:530969}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Fifteen years ago I planted a Phlomis fruiticosa where I had removed an asphalt driveway, and ignored it ever since. With the heavy rain/hail of the last few days, several of my too tall Alstroemeria, fell across the path. I pulled them and made an arrangement for my wife. It looked pretty boring so I looked for something else in bloom, and the Phlomis was about it. I added two stems to the Alstroemerias and it looked better. The next morning when I entered the living room there was a great fragrance which I traced to the Phlomis. Searching my references no mention was made of fragrance associated with Phlomis. If it holds up in the vase I may add a couple more Phlomis to my neglected garden. Al

Comments (11)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Love Phlomis, Al! My sis has several different varieties of Phlomis in her yard, and it is always so spectacular in bloom. I didn't realize they had a scent either. I'm going to have to add a few to my front slope. Very pretty!

Patty S.

• jakkom
    12 years ago

I've always thought phlomis was a great looking flower. I wish I had the right site for them. Interesting that it had a fragrance - that's something missing from so many plants these days.

• jenn
    12 years ago

I've had my eye on Phlomis fruticosa ever since I first saw it in the High Country Gardens catalog. I think it's time to find a place for it... I wonder how it will like our rich amended clay soil.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Yours looks really beautiful. It is really something when it is grown well.

• wcgypsy
    12 years ago

Yes, indeed! Phlomis fruticosa is greatly scented! I have 3 and the oldest has been in the ground for 10 years or so and I've just finally found two seedlings from it. The seedlings are growing very quickly also....

• onederw
    12 years ago

Wow. Consider me enabled, Al. This is the time of year when I start to get increasingly desperate for flowers that are not Compositae. A ring of petals around a center -- be it gold or black or whatever -- is okay, but let's hear it for variety! And phlomis certainly fills the bill. Can you describe the fragrance?
    Kay

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

To describe a fragrance is to compare it to another. Have you ever been down wind of a lilac when a puff of wind enveloped you in fragrance? Or maybe a sweet olive or Osmanthus fragrans? With the Phlomis I never have noticed any fragrance in the garden. I have the impression that the flower releases a burst of fragrance in the dark of the night, perhaps to attract moths. Al

• dicot
    12 years ago

Interesting, my hammock is 10 feet from my Jerusalem sage and I've never noticed a scent. I'll have to check it again some night when the weather warms. I've seen it used with Lepechina fragrans before to good effect, same with Salvia microphylla, but either of those would overwhelm any fragrance.

• wcgypsy
    12 years ago

It's fragrant in the daytime. Very Sweet. Fills the air. Mine are located a ways from the house so I've not been out there to notice if there's scent in the evenings.

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

Lovely; I've seen pictures of this plant, but never knew its name, thanks!

• wcgypsy
    12 years ago

It's also a very tough plant, very drought tolerant. Much to recommend it.