Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

Darkest Purple Bougainvillea Cultivar?

I am trying to find the darkest true purple Bougainvillea cultivar out there. So far, seems that it is between 'Royal Purple' and 'Elizabeth Angus'. I'm looking for something that is really purple. Not hot pink, not magenta, no orange at all. Just deep dark purple. Are there any other cultivars I'm missing? In reading up on both cultivars, I'm leaning towards 'Elizabeth Angus' due to its more subdued growth habit. As bougies get established in my yard, they can become monsters :-) So, it would be attractive to have one with a more sedate growth habit. Any suggestions welcomed.

Patty S.

Comments (18)

• MrClint
    9 years ago

I don't have an answer for you. Bouggies do so well here and are almost fool proof. Hold back the water and they explode with color. But the mess and thorns made me dig them out. I have fig trees in that spot and am much happier now. Good luck with your search though. :)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, have a few in my yard mrclint;-)
    {{gwi:530995}}

{{gwi:530996}}

This one of about 7 or 8 mature Bougainvilleas I have on my property. Just looking to find the darkest purple cultivar I can find. I have an 'Elizabeth Angus', but was hoping there was something even darker purple than this.

Patty S.

• CA Kate z9
    9 years ago

I had a beautiful purple one called 'Prince'... something. I got it at a nursery in Encino, CA, one on Ventura Ave.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I picked up a purple years ago at OSH. No idea the name. It stayed pretty manageable for several years. I only took it out because I had planted a cherry tree on the ground below the short retaining wall it was on. I did not want it to try and climb the cherry or get spiked trying to pick cherries. It was probably 'Elizabeth Angus' or one similar in color.

I picked up a different (cheap) one today at HD to live in a pot and blocks some reflected sun. Maybe that will keep it manageable too.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Kippy. What is the variety you bought at HD? Westelle, can't find any bougie that has "Prince" in the name as a cultivar, but thanks. Will try to look a little harder. I would like to see it if I can.

Patty S.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I wish I had the tag for the purple I took out.

Not sure but it might have been Elizabeth Angus that I bought for $3 the other day.

Looking for a better photo, but you can see a hint of it in the deep wine colored rose near the top.
    {{gwi:530998}}

I guess after the battles with bougainvillea I never took pictures.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Very lovely, and that's what I'm looking for! That neon purple and "restrained", lol! And, your house is gorgeous!! Looks like the cover of Sunset magazine. Thanks, hoovb.

Patty S.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Try "New River", also known as "Palm Beach Purple".

• la_kitty
    9 years ago

I've been trying to take cuttings of a very dark purple bougainvillea on Venice and Robertson for the past two years but no success yet! Will try again!

Original Author
    9 years ago

I am considering trying this with a very dark purple bougie I saw in Oceanside. Will see if I can get them to root.

Patty S.

• kbhesania
    9 years ago

Patty S. did you ever find a dark purple bougainvillea? I am looking for one too- not pink and not neon purple, more plum but I can't find anything anywhere, any luck? Royal purple is pretty but I wouldn't call it dark.

Kim (San Clemente)

• wallstreetkahuna
    5 years ago

Me too. Royal purple photos taken at dusk for advertisement fooled me. A specialized Bougainvillea agriculturist would be able to answer this or explore various grafting results.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    5 years ago

Closest I've seen is like hoovb's B.spectabilis..its also as near to ever blooming as they come. Plus,it covers itself in bloom solidly.

• HU-98237559556347195
    5 years ago

Wow! I'm SUPER late to this post but, I started a few cuttings of a deep purplish-red bougie a few days ago. I like that the tiny flowers start off as white buds but, mature to pink. And, those carpals... they make me thirsty for a good burgundy wine!! Here's a pic I took at night under flourescent shop lights.

• romogen
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have also been looking for a purple bougainvillea for a mass planting. I just picked up some 1g B. brasiliensis at Home Depot, they also had ‘Elizabeth Angus’ in 5g at premium prices. E. Angus was slightly more saturated purple than the species, but cost x3 times as much. Monrovia’s ‘Royal Purple’ is carried by all the local independent nurseries, but I have not seen it next to E. Angus to compare. I have not seen ‘New River’ available locally. I went with the species because the planting site will not receive much care and maintenance; therefore, I need a proven performer. I saw a lot of mislabeled ’Barbara Karst,’ but the ’California Gold’ looks great. I also liked the deep hot pink of ‘Miami Pink’ it had a magenta cast standing on its own, but looked definitely pink next to the purple bougainvillea. HD carried ‘San Diego Red’ while Lowe’s had ‘La Jolla,’ both are the best true reds on the market.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    4 years ago

Hoove b.. you ever do a pictorial of your garden? SO many neat plants. What's behind the firesticks to the far left?..something weepy or bending. Firesticks and Blue Senecio..I have to move my Senecio growing next to a blue Aloe plicatilis. Blue under blue is not a good idea!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    4 years ago

I have Royal Purple and its definitely purple. It also makes a good standard tree form if you like that aesthetic. It will definitely grow into a huge vining monster if you let it.