Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
turtlemom_gw

Summer Avocado Variety

turtlemom_gw
12 years ago

My friend is looking for a variety of avocado that will ripen in the summer time. Any suggestions?

Comments (14)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I just read about a new variety that is supposed to produce three crops a year, spring, summer, fall. It's called 'Carmen-Hass'. 'Gem' is supposed to produce from late spring to early fall, that would cover summer, I think.

A plantsman who sends out an email newsletter sent this about Carmen Hass and Gem.

"Carmen-Hass (A) This is the hottest new sport of the popular commercial Hass. Apparently one tree in a Hass orchard in Mexico started flowering 3 times per year. A normal Hass blooms once in spring and is harvested the following year from late spring to early fall. The odd tree, now known as Carmen-Hass, blooms in spring, summer, and fall with corresponding crops. A mature tree can be harvested pretty much the entire year! Interestingly, the shape of the fruit is influenced by the bloom period. Spring bloom creates the typical pear-shaped fruit. Later blooms create rounded fruit. Carmen-Hass trees can grow tall and wide if allowed. This may be the only Avocado tree your garden needs!

GEM (A) This cultivar was bred by Gray Edward Martin of the University of California, who spent most of a lifetime to create the perfect Avocado. GEM is the daughter of Gwen, another UC introduction. Gwen was a nearly perfect decendent of Hass that had a nasty tendency to defoliate in winter. GEM is a Hass-type fruit that is a more consistent, heavy producer, easier to grow, and a natural semi-dwarf. Harvest late spring to early fall.

Bacon (B) This is a good pollinator for either Carmen or Gem and produces good to excellent tasting fruit January-April. Bacon is a very consistent, heavy producer.

Stewart (AB) This is another good pollinator and consistent, good producer. Stewart produces excellent quality fruit from early October to mid-December. "

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Okay, so hoovb, where do we find a Carmen-Hass or a Gem?? I can squeeze two more SUV-trees up on my front slope, where my other avos are. Yumm.

Patty S.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Thanks, hoovb. Not so close to OC, about an hour south. But maybe worth visiting my mother in law and make a trip to the Farmer's Market, first.

Patty S.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

More info on the link. Apparently Thrips can be a problem for summer-fruiting varieties of Avocado, so something to keep in mind.

Here is a link that might be useful: Avocado info at Browkaw Nursery (wholesaler)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

'Reed' is apparently a summer variety as well. I recommend looking around that Brokaw site. Lots and lots of avocado info and stuff I never knew. This company sells trees to commercial growers. Very interesting and informative stuff.

• turtlemom_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hoovb, thanks for the info I will look around the site.

• manny8077
    11 years ago

I just bought a reed at home depot and they also have 3 holiday trees but I have had 2 of holiday trees die on me. so I bought a reed which is the parent of the holiday so I think they should taste the same, you should try calling up some home depots, you also get a one year get your money back on any plant with reciept if it dies.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

The 'Reed' is very tasty. I hope it thrives for you, Manny.

Good tip about keeping the receipt for plants from HD.

• yukkuri_kame
    11 years ago

Weird, I thought I replied to this topic, but apparently not.

I am also looking to diversify my avocado collection via grafting. Ideal time for grafting avos is just after last frost, which is first week in March up here in Sunland/Tujunga, foothills area of Los Angeles. So that's coming up in a couple of weeks.

I currently have 3 avow. I have a big, very productive and healthy haas.

The other one is in it's second year of production on my sister's property. I think it's another Haas, but not certain.

Lastly, I have a little seedling from a Reed pit, that is about 1yr old in a container. I call it a 'Reedling'

I am planning on grafting a bit of the the reedling onto my big haas, to see if I can get it to fruiting quicker that way.

I am also looking to diversify and would love to obtain some buds or wood from established trees of other cultivars.

I'm particularly interested in the following:

Sharwil
    Carmen-Haas (sounds wonderful!)
    Lamb Haas
    Reed
    Fuerte
    Bacon
    Pinkerton
    Green Gold

But I'm totally open to receiving material from any cultivar other than haas, as long as it's from fruiting wood.

Don't have much to trade as far as avocados go, just the haas and reedling. But I have a bunch of other interesting stuff for trade. Happy to drive to get what I am looking for.

• MrClint
    11 years ago

Reed are the absolute best avocados. So buttery and melting, with a deep rich 'cado flavor. A close second would be some of the Sharwil that I've had in Hawaii.

The only knock on Reed is that it's a short summer season crop (which answers the original question). Maybe the season just seems short because I buy them up when I see them in a market, price be d@mned. They can be hard to find some years. I've heard that many growers keep Reeds for themselves, and grow everything else for sale.

• yukkuri_kame
    11 years ago

According to this link, the season for picking reed is July to October in Ventura County...seems a decent window for picking following Haas.

Here is a link that might be useful: when to pick avocados

• MrClint
    11 years ago

July to October is a range, which doesn't mean they are ripe in each of those months. They tend to hit stores here locally for a few weeks and then are gone. I can only speak to their availability in stores - perhaps some one with a mature Reed can clarify how they perform in a backyard setting.

• NorCalNiko
    11 years ago

If anyone has trouble finding some exotic varieties in CA, I suggest Epicenter Nursery in Santa Cruz. Great people. I planted a couple varieties last year that are doing great. I'm getting a Reed this year. Epicenternursery.com.

No, I don't work there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Epicenter Nursery