Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

The year of the spontaneous seedlings!

jenn
11 years ago

Last fall I posted about a seedling of Nicotiana sylvestris that grew from a seed that fell...... 10?? years back when I last grew it. It came up in just the right spot, no need to move it. When in bloom at full size, it is a stunning plant that turns heads.

Anyway, this spring I've spotted seedlings from other plants I grew around that time -- again, 10 or so (!!) years ago.

* Geranium 'Silver Sugar Plum' (don't Google it if you are at work or the kids are around, LOL).

* Lobelia (the common blue annual), several seedlings growing at just the perfect spacing so I probably don't need to thin a single one.

* White Pentas, growing at the very edge of a large lava rock (I potted up this baby to save it and plant elsewhere).

Oh, there's also a Sweet Pea vine at the edge of the patio, about 20 feet from where I planted the original seeds in 2000/2001. Every year, a new one comes up a couple feet away from last year's plant.

Ah, the joys of gardening!

Comments (9)

• pbsjones
    11 years ago

Not counting the feral cherry tomatoes, I've found lobelia popping up everywhere, even though it's been years since I had any. The oddest thing I've discovered is a daylily of a variety that I've never had; I noticed the leaves coming up last year and didn't bother to pull them out as weeds because of my habit of forgetting that I'd planted something...but the daylilies that I purposely grow are yellow, where this is one of those white with purple dots at the throat that you find in shopping center landscaping. Ironically, I had collected some seeds of this variety last year, but they are still sitting in an envelope on my dresser. o_O

• socks
    11 years ago

Lots of vinca which I relocate when they get big enough. Many, many pumpkin plants from the Halloween pumpkins buried in the compost pile. Two were allowed to live. CA poppies, of course. Volunteer tomatoes, one allowed to live.

We won't discuss the shamrock thingies and the violets.

Don't you love free plants?

• tressa
    11 years ago

Lots of wild flowers this year. Isn't mother nature fascinating?

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

Close by are several fields where wildflowers grow. It is interesting to note some will skip a year while others will skip a different year. This year we have poppies and lupine but no evening primrose. Al

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    11 years ago

I've got one baby palm, one baby holly, and one baby Camellia, all growing in the wrong spots! I forgot the baby grapevine! Plan to pot them up today, keep them in pots till we get our new property.

• socks
    11 years ago

A baby camellia!? How 'bout that! Must have started from a seed? I hope they all survive the transplant.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

My garden is full of native seedlings, almost impossible to get rid of. Native grape will come up in the middle of of a shrub, and all I can do is prune it out as low down as possible. My favorite is the one in the middle of Berberis, those inch long thorns are tough to deal with. Al

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    11 years ago

I am excited about that little camellia, and it's below a crazy blooming pink one. I read that when a seedling blooms, it could end up any color but the mom's color, and I would love a surprise! All I have are wine grapes (no natives), so this baby has to be some blend of Cabernet, Tempranillo, Touriga National, or could be something else thrown into that heritage! Love surprises!
    Suzi

• wcgypsy
    11 years ago

Oh, I love volunteers. The best ones for me I don't even have to work for, they pop up in my nursery pots and strawberry pots...linaria purpurea in its purple and pink forms. echium / Pride of Madeiras, verbascum chaixii album, Sweet Annie, Ambrosia / chenopodium, Canary Pines, of course feverfew, Apple scented geraniums, wild grapes, yes. I prowl the property looking for seedlings of toyon to be moved to better locations. I'm sure that to most people these are the ones they refer to in a negative fashion when saying, "Oh, they reseed...." I just think of them as 'enthusiastic'....lol..