Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catkim_gw

Substitute for Variegated Society Garlic?

catkim
11 years ago

I'm trying to think of a plant with the look and cultural requirements of Tulbaghia violacea 'Silver Lace'. I like the look, but not the smell.

Comments (8)

• chadinlg Zone 9b Los Gatos CA
    11 years ago

variegated Liriope muscari is close...

Here is a link that might be useful: link to a picture

• bahia
    11 years ago

I think the foliage pungency is just not as intense in cooler climates; I've never had a client complain about this plant here by the SF Bay. There isn't really an equivalent plant that has both the long bloom season and thin upright narrow variegated foliage in that color range, perhaps the Tinkerbell Agapanthus comes closest. If you want the flowers without the garlic smell, Tulbaghia fragrans is good, but not variegated. Carex morrowii Evergold comes close, as does variegated Chlorophytum comosum. Some of the variegated foliage Bearded Iris might also be worth looking at.

I never notice much pervading garlic scent from the Tulbaghia in my
    garden, but then we rarely get sustained temps over 75ðF.

• manifest
    11 years ago

How about Armeria maritima 'Nifty Thrifty'. It's a sea pink with variegated foliage. The foliage is smaller than society garlic, but the plant spreads and forms clumps over time if you don't divide them.

A larger plant is Armeria pseudarmeria 'Joystick Red'. I haven't grown this, but I saw it in a nursery a few weeks ago. The foliage reminds me of chives and flops a bit. (Unsure if that was because the plant I found was in shade and not in full sun in the nursery.)

Another suggestion would be to post in the Ornamental Grasses forum and see if there are other substitutes that they can help you come up with. If it's variegated foliage you're after, Molinia caerulea 'Variegata', might be worth looking at.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Definitely temperature related, Bahia. I never notice the ONE society garlic that has survived the shovel out at the end of my driveway :-) except in the summer. We have temps up into the 80's here in the summer, and occasionally topping 90 infrequently. And here it is used pretty frequently in median strips and other commercial plantings since it is so reliable in tough planting situations, and looks very nice all the time. I have to roll up my car window in the summer :-) Ugh. I'm just very sensitive to smells I guess. Not that I don't love strong smelling plants, it's just that I'd rather be smelling my roses, Brugmansia, jasmine, stephanotis or Cleveland Sage. Many lovely smells in my garden, and I don't want them spoiled or overpowered by stinky society garlic, not matter how nice a perennial it is. I understand it can repel gophers, though, so if you don't mind the odor, it is a reliable option.

Patty S.

• catkim
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's not particularly hot here on the coast, but it's not a smell I'd like to encounter every time I come and go from the front door. Listing the house for sale, I'm considering reactions from potential buyers...

• bahia
    11 years ago

If its just a replacement planting in a high visibility spot, it doesn't sound like it really needs to be similar foliage/character. Something equally bright but yellow/green and of similar size such as Acorus gramineus Ogon, or the bright orange/yellow/green foliage of Libertia ixioides Goldfinger would both be of similar size without the garlic smell. Or perhaps plugging in a Coleonema pulchellum Sunset Gold? This one does add great fragrance if brushed against, and also some dazzling chartreuse color.

• catkim
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to all for the suggestions, much appreciated. I was drawing a complete blank.
    Dazzling color could be useful, another new plant name for me. Thanks David.