Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurelzito

Harvest potatoes early photo, next peanuts

Laurel Zito
12 years ago

I had to harvest the blue ones early, because the leaves on the plant had brown spots. I was worried it would infect the others. I posted before, but like no one is growing potatoes, but they do work in San Francisco. I want to try a peanut plant next. Where can I get a fresh peanut in the shell to plant? Whole food does not have them.

Here is a link that might be useful: So many potatoes

Comments (6)

• deep___roots
    12 years ago

Nice purple or blue potatoes. I planted "purple majesty" in January. My potato plants look very lush so I haven't even dug around for a tater or 2 yet. But after seeing your picture I just might.

• Astroknot
    12 years ago

Have you tried Rainbow Grocery in SF for the peanuts?

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thought about rainbow, but it's so hard to park there. Then I found out peanuts won't be in season until Sept. but of course, then it will too late to plant the peanut, so I don't know. Maybe there is a source for plants? Did you know all the major sellers of live vegetables can't sell to them to California. It says they like a sandy soil, I do have that.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It won't work, I need a green peanut and they are out of season. A raw peanut won't grow. Found this

The majority of peanuts grown in the United States are dried before being processed then sold to packaging, processor and feed companies, with most ending up as peanut butter. The bulk of whats left winds up in candy or as roasted peanuts (parched) salted and unsalted. There are however, a smaller elite group of consumers who have discovered the joys of the peanut before it is dried. These are your boiled peanut fans. Although a 'dried' peanut can still be called 'raw', it cannot be termed 'green'. Only peanuts fresh from the ground have that honor, albiet the peanut is not actually green in color.
    Green peanuts are often not easy to locate as they are perishable and must be refridgerated or frozen immediately. Dried peanuts have a shelf life of literally months, whereas a green peanut left at room temperature will begin to deteriorate in just a week or two. They also have a relatively short season making them even more rare and perhaps more sought after by those who have developed a taste for genuine southern boiled peanuts. Boiling green peanuts insures maximum flavor for the boiled peanut fan.

• Astroknot
    12 years ago

How about purchasing some peanut seeds online? There's a vendor called Henry Field's that looks like they have some. Might be the quicker solution, instead of having to scour around for local growers or in grocery stores.

Here is a link that might be useful: Henry Field's Peanut Seeds

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That was a great link, but the shipping cost 6.99 for the 1.99 item. Maybe I could find someone to go in with me? I have to think about it.