Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to keep outdoor bugs out after enjoying the garden...

Posted by homey_bird (My Page) on
Fri, May 3, 13 at 13:05

Hi,

Slightly off topic, but related nevertheless.....

With weather getting warmer, we all spend more time in the yard, gardening, playing and entertaining. At least in my house, every time we entertain kids, they run in and out, leave doors open, and at night I see a new crop of bugs crawling.

Is there a solution to this problem? I know lots of people here have sliding glass doors that fully open etc. How do they keep moths and bugs away? Do they place traps at strategic locations inside or out?

I'd appreciate some pointers and shared experiences!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to keep outdoor bugs out after enjoying the garden...

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, May 4, 13 at 17:38

There's those recent curtain-type screens that you can punch open with a hand or elbow and they snap closed behind you with magnets on the edges.

I haven't tried them myself and wondered how they work or don't work.

if your google on "magnet closing screen" some examples will come up. I think for kids that might work. I was thinking of it as a doggie door when we are home and the pups like to go in and out and in and out constantly in summer.

o
RE: How to keep outdoor bugs out after enjoying the garden...

Our one-eyed scrub jay, Winkie, used to sit on the rims of the wall torchieres and pick off all of the crane flies and moths that were attracted to the light. I don't think it's practical to get a one-eyed scrub jay for each room, though.

We just live with the bugs now.

Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here