Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
central_cali369

Help me identify these CA natives

Central_Cali369
11 years ago

Hello guys and gals,

I was visiting a friend who lives in the Sierra Nevada foothills this past weekend. The hills are just exploding with wildflowers! I was able to rescue a few plants that were destined to be sprayed over with herbicide along their gravel driveway. As soon as i got home I was able to pot them up. So far it's looking like they will all be surviving the transplant!

I was able to identify some of the plants but would like someone with more knowledge to take a look at them. Sorry for the blurry photos, I took these with my phone.

This first one is silvery gray, has fuzzy leaves and grows to form low growing mounds. I see them growing everywhere here.

{{gwi:531856}}

This second looks like a Clarkia to me (??) It has beautiful purple blooms atop slender stems and has thin pine-like foliage.

{{gwi:531857}}

This looks to me like a lupine. I don't know what color the blooms are, but they may be annual, since I didn't see any that were much larger than this

{{gwi:531858}}

This one has yellow flowers that are speckled with orange-brown spots. They look like a cross between mimulus and a snapdragon.

{{gwi:531859}}

This last one is also a lupine. There were many large shrubs of this and they had blue blooms on them.

{{gwi:531860}}

Thanks for any help! Being able to identify them will help me know how to care for them.

Comments (7)