Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need yr help finding a tree/shrub

Posted by ladybugsmom192 9-SF East Bay (My Page) on
Sun, May 12, 13 at 14:25

Happy Sunday all!

I am at my wits end and need your help. We have to redo a 10x12ish almost square corner of our yard after the untimely death of our beloved 'Sam' (yes, we, well daughter Ladybug, name our trees, lol!), due to incompetent landscape employees.

We are looking for a small tree or tree-like shrub, that we could put in a massive pot (sitting on something decorative to give height due to our 5ft fence), no more than 5-8ft high and maybe 5-6ft wide, mainly to give us privacy. Something we could shape. That corner gets great morning sun as its almost due east, but not much at all after 1pm (no matter the time of year) due to how the house is situated.

That corner will be another sitting area with fire pit, adirondack chairs, and crushed granite. It's the corner of our 'corner' lot, we're on a peninsula, so some kind of privacy is important.

Any suggestions, recommendations, or help (pictures too!) will be greatly appreciated!

Warmly,
Angela :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need yr help finding a tree/shrub

Angela, what kind of tree was Sam? Is there a reason why you can't plant another of the same? If it was a tree that was doing well but got offed by a gardening error, it might be the best choice.
That aside, most trees are going to be tough to hold at under 8 feet (although having it potted rather than in the ground will help in that regard), and at that height, getting that much spread from one individual plant might be a challenge. You might consider a limbed up hawthorn (rhaphiolepis indica, pale pink flowers in spring are a plus), or a trio of privets, but my best thought might be a strawberry tree (arbutus unedo compacta). Let us know what you decide.

Kay

Here is a link that might be useful: arbutus unedo compacta

o

Have you considered an Acer palmatum (Japanese Maple)?

Check out the link I've provided

Here is a link that might be useful: Yamashitas Maples

o

I think you should drive around your neighborhood and find a healthy shrub in someone else's yard, take a picture of it, and then try to find a similar one. If you have a botanical garden in your neighborhood, you can go there also - there is a nice one in Berkeley. If you find something in your neighborhood, you will know that it is probably suited for your soil and climate, although my own back yard seems to have particularly bad patches of soil that need ammending.

Lars

o

Here in my zone I would plant a brugmansia for that purpose.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Wed, May 15, 13 at 23:37

Does it have to be in a container? Some shrubby/small trees that can be kept at about 8 to 10 feet tall and are dense enough to give some privacy might include Leptospermum scoparium Ruby Glow, Melaleuca incana, Metrosideros collina Springfire, Leucadendron Safari Sunset, Cantua buxifolia, Hakea suaveolens, Chamaerops humilis.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here