Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittymoonbeam

What a year for fuschias, etc.

kittymoonbeam
11 years ago

This is a great year for fuschias and tuberous begonias as well as hydrangeas! My peaches were so bitter with the cool spring into summer but man the fuschias look perfect!

Comments (14)

• Laurel Zito
    11 years ago

Yes, my fuchsia and my hydrangeas are looking good, but there has been a wind that is making one of the hydrangea Annabelle have wilted leaves. My tuberous begonia is just starting out, so I don't know if this will be a good year, I hope so. My roses are doing well this year ago, and the abutilons are blooming now.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

I love fuchsias and hydrangeas! I'd love to see photos...
    Renee

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Horrific spring for rose foliage though. Several of mine completely defoliated from black spot. Now I better appreciate how difficult it is to grow roses east of the Rockies. Yes, my fuchsias are going to town, and iris were the best ever.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

The north side of my house I have a Fuchsia magellanica planted in a planter about three feet high. It is in front of our picture window and favorite hummingbird viewing area. The roof has a 30 inch overhang which gives it some winter protection. In the spring when new growth starts I cut the oldest stems all the way back, and the rest back to about one foot. It grows fast and is now in bloom with stems between 3 and 4 feet long. Al

• socks
    11 years ago

It must be quite spectacular out the window. And you don't have to put up hummingbird feeders, do you?! You have a growing hummingbird feeder.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Oh, mine, too! I'll snap a photo of my 'Incrediball'. It is true to it's name. And my fuschias are just going and going and going.

Patty S.

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The columbines and thalictrum are looking good as well. I still have good looking pansies violas and snapdragons. It's fun to have the winter flowers still around while the summer ones come on. Ferns think the weather is wonderful also.

• lisascenic Urban Gardener, Oakland CA
    11 years ago

My house came with a miserable old fuschia, apparently infested with fuschia gall mites. I cut the entire plant to the ground, and cleaned up all the leaves I could. I wasn't expecting success, but the lush new growth seems uninfected.

• saraann
    11 years ago

Where is the best place to buy fuschias in Orange County?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

saraann the best place is the OC Fuchsia Society sale in June, check their website. For this year...fuchsia season is about over. Now that real hot weather is upon us, they stop blooming. I've seen them at gardencenters, but mostly in May-June when they are looking their best. You might find a few here and there at the usual places: Armstrongs, Green Thumb, Roger's.

lisascenic, keep a close eye on the plant for reemergence of the pest.

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Waaaah. Lost half of them in the heat wave. I even cut them back a week before. I was bringing the ones I could move inside too where it was cooler but I don't have AC just an evaporative cooler. I brought them out at night and let them get some early morning light before bringing them inside for the day. Even so, I still lost some of my best ones. Keeping them wet didn't matter- the nursery pro told me that in the 90+ temps they just collapse. If you are on the coast you will probably be ok. If I had AC, I would have let them stay by the lace curtained window. My gramma had one live year round that way in Riverside Co.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

I love fuschias too, but I've only had them in hanging baskets? Do you guys have them in the ground? Any pictures you can share?

If you ever get to San Diego county stop into Weidner's gardens. That's my go to for fuschias. I've never seen so many varieties in one place and I want them all!

They grow everything they sell and are known for their fuschias, begonias, hanging baskets and dig your own events. They close in Sept and reopen for another planting season in Nov. www.weidners.com and here's a link to a slide show of the nursery. Can't help smile when walking under all those colorful hanging baskets! http://www.weidners.com/Tour_Weidners

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

I love weidners gardens.It's just down the freeway from me.I got all my begonias,and fuschias there as well.Havn't been down there the last couple years,same with Cordova gardens in encinitas,along with sunshine gardens.

You can go down that way early in the AM and stay all day just going from nursery to nursery.That is if you're in good health.Unfortunately my knees don't allo me to do it anymore.Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Kathi

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

Do you have any pictures? I'd love to see!