Return to the California Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best grapes (Any Heirloom?) for the Los Angeles region?

Posted by deadorinjail (My Page) on
Mon, May 31, 10 at 14:36

I'm looking to plant at least a half dozen varieties as I've got a long fence line to cover. While I've found standards like Flame and Thompson seedless at various nurseries, I prefer to grow things that I can't typically buy.

So who's got local success stories? And where do you buy your seedlings?

Thanks in advance!
/D

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best grapes (Any Heirloom?) for the Los Angeles region?

D,
There's a great thread on this in the Fruit & Orchards Forum here: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fruit/msg0815540430144.html

I know that my sister in Oceanside has got Summer Royal and Princess (both mentioned in this thread) that have escaped the fence and are growing rampantly across her back hillbank and are absolutely delicious. So perhaps those two might be a good start for you.

Patty S.

o

You may be interested in Vitis girdiana (southern california grape also known as desert wild grape). Its native to Southern California, its very vigorous and one of the most drought tolerant grapes out there. You can use it as a great disease resistant and drought tolerant grating stock. I have a few plants of it, however the fruit eating quality is sub par due to the size of the grapes and its seed. Potential for grafting rootstock is excellent though.

o

Not sure where you are in Los Angeles, but I have tried about 7 varieties in the San Fernando Valley, and most struggle severely (with survivable fruit, that is... plants do fine) in summer. Only variety that reliably makes good fruit for me when it's 110F out is Concord Grape... Fantasy, Flame, and most other dark fruits suffer and split in summer. Thompson's seedlings looks hopeful and this year looks like a good crop coming up.. however, it hasn't gotten hot yet... so I'll let you know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the California Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here